PDA

View Full Version : Flocking question

occam
04-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Hello everyone!
I recently began exploring Lightwave's flocking system for an animation that I am making, and I encountered a problem.

In the enclosed picture I illustrate what I want to accomplish. (1) I have an array of 50 objects (25 red cubes, 25 blue cubes, positioned evenly on a 18x8m grid) that start moving towards a specific goal (2). The red cubes move to a grid of 8x8m on the right, ending up evenly spaced on this 8x8m grid. The same goes for the blue cubes, except these go to a 8x8m grid on the left (3). I want the cubes to slow down before they reach their end-position on either grid (no abrubt stopping).

First I tried to animate this by hand, but the results lack the liveliness and randomness that you get when you use LW's flocking system. Besides, the final animation will have to contain many more actors (the cubes in the example) so that animation by hand is not an option.
The problem that I have is that I cannot get the blue and red cubes to move to a prespecified end-position (a place on one of the 8x8m grids).

Can anyone please point a direction I could take to tackle this problem?

ernpchan
04-11-2014, 06:56 PM
I know there's an Arrive director but I'm not sure if it'll give you that exact destination arrangement. You might be able to do this via nodal motion. There's probably a nodal expert like xswampyx who could figure this out.

A non-LightWave option might be Element3D.

raw-m
04-12-2014, 01:59 AM
I can't help with your issue I'm afraid but I'm interested in how you split your colours so they group together. Can you tell us how you did it?

Edit: sorry still wiping sleep out my eyes this morning, clearly didn't read your post properly!

occam
04-12-2014, 07:43 AM
I know there's an Arrive director but I'm not sure if it'll give you that exact destination arrangement. You might be able to do this via nodal motion. [...].

Yes, the exact destination arrangement is the key problem. I can get the different sets of actors (red or blue cubes) to move to a certain position, but cannot have them individually move to a prespecified position. I have fiddled around with the nodal option, but it got me nowhere so far. Thanks for replying!