PDA

View Full Version : LW on linux?

andromeda_girl
04-10-2014, 07:53 AM
i have been informed that some people have got their LW to run on linux [despite newtek not having an actual linux version yet]

any information available on this?
how it's done, if it's stable, loss of performance and features, etc?

Phil
04-10-2014, 09:22 AM
It was done with a bit of a hack and I'm not sure the technique still works given changes in Linux and Wine :

lwonlinux.oleeblood.com/download/how-to_lwonlinux_v1.pdf‎

ianr
04-10-2014, 11:17 AM
I hope someone blows the dust off of this
& checks if it can run LW11.6.XX etc with the
latest Linnux & Wine iterations.

Tell me now, didn't someone talk about getting
LightWave in one's pipeline??? hmmm!
A run at this will help Lightwave.... Surely???
(There's alot of Linnux Pipelines around Mr. Powers!)

OnlineRender
04-10-2014, 01:00 PM
last time I seen it working was on version 10.1 not sure about v11

http://lwonlinux.oleeblood.com/download/how-to_lwonlinux_v1.pdf

http://lwonlinux.oleeblood.com/

edit sorry just seen Phil posted above links///

DiM
05-24-2014, 04:55 AM
I hope too than Newtek will give us a linux version of Lightwave soon,
at the Lightwave beginning, it was available on all system (Unix, win, mac and amiga)
today for studio and little freelance linux is a true system used, so we need a linux version please ;)

dulo
05-24-2014, 06:04 AM
eyeon fusion just packed their win binary with a wine installation into an rpm/deb to get a linux version of their software.
It should be easy for newtek to choose the same path, but it would mean one more platform for them to support.
I used lightwave with wine until 11.03 but with the latest versions I can not get the opengl stuff to work properly.
Screamer always worked and works perfectly with wine ( all plugins also worked except turbulenceFD .. )

Hail
05-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Lw on linux?
No thanks!!!
They should fix the horrible undo first

cagey5
05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Yeah, it's inconceivable that they can do both. In fact they shouldn't even contemplate Lightwave on Linux until every last bug has been resolved on the current system!

dulo
05-26-2014, 12:10 PM
Yep .. I would even go as far as dropping the 32 bit support ( like sidefx with houdini ) with lightwave 12 to be able to fully concentrate on x64 LW .

cagey5
05-26-2014, 12:49 PM
Hmm, you do realise I was posting with a healthy dose of sarcasm I trust?

hrgiger
05-26-2014, 04:04 PM
I caught it Cagey :)

I doubt it will happen because I know there are many out there who still use 32 bit for some older plug-ins but I wouldn't mind seeing LW go 64 bit only. But I'm guessing that continuing to support a 32 bit version of LightWave isn't a major drag on development.

OnlineRender
05-26-2014, 05:35 PM
+1 for dropping 32 .... I understand the legacy aspect for plugins and fully aware of the people still using xp&lw "although dead now" but scene files are getting that big these days personally I would not like to be stuck on 4gig of ram also.

cresshead
05-27-2014, 02:28 PM
autocash dropped 32bit for 3ds max last year with 3dsmax 2014
note they also dropped support for windows xp and windows vista as well.
so 3dsmax now only installs on windows 7 64bit and windows 8 64bit

as regards linux version of lightwave...why not ask for andriod tablet version too as it's just about as possible as linux. :)

JamesCurtis
05-27-2014, 08:28 PM
I agree that it would be cool to see an Android version of LW. I love my tablet and it would be great for really portable use. But I do wonder if then an Ipad version would also be viable? The only Android 3D program I am aware of is Spacedraw, and it really suffers from poor interface design in general.

EL Hombre
03-08-2017, 12:08 PM
What's preventing newtek from creating a lightwave for linux?

dulo
03-08-2017, 12:10 PM
Its a lot of work with very little return of investment .. .

- - - Updated - - -

with wine 2.x the x64 version already work quite well and our screamer farm already run on linux / wine / screamer ..

cagey5
03-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Before I attempt this. Is anyone else running LW on Wine? No problem with the license recognition?

MichaelT
03-08-2017, 02:29 PM
While Wine isn't perfect.. LW is quite basic in its needs, so I suspect it would work fine. I doubt there would be a problem with the license. But it isn't harder than giving it a try no? :)
As for why? I doubt they have enough customer requests for Linux.. otherwise they'd probably have done it already. They already have a Mac version.. so the step to Linux isn't that far away (I'm guessing :) )
Mac is based off BSD Unix, so.. probably not too big a step. But I think it is mostly about economics in this case.

dulo
03-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Before I attempt this. Is anyone else running LW on Wine? No problem with the license recognition?

Dongle doesnt work but online license does .. also try to use the latest mesa and wine64 ..

nemac4
03-08-2017, 10:27 PM

I had it running on a number of render servers with OpenSuse 12.x, Wine and LW2015.3. It worked well for most things that I tried and with screamernet though I was mainly testing network rendering. I tried some other linux flavors but I had the most luck with opensuse.. but that may just be due to more familiarity with opensuse over other flavors.
I did eventually switch my servers to windows to better support split frame rendering with butterflynetrender though I may try to set up a few nodes for testing again. I was benchmarking the linux nodes vs windows nodes but I can't remember how that panned out. It has been a year or so.

Meshbuilder
03-09-2017, 01:17 AM
I think they had a beta version of screamer net running on Linux many years ago.
That would be good to have for large render farms. One can save a lot of money to avoid having to pay for windows on each rendering computer.

dulo
03-09-2017, 02:49 AM
Agreed but for that linux version you would need newly compiled plugins .. so in my opinion the wine way is the better one ,because you can keep all your legacy and custom plugins from you windows desktop ..

allabulle
03-09-2017, 08:00 AM
I tried not that long ago and couldn't activate the license. I'll try again.

It's a real pity we can't use it in Linux with confidence. I know a few that went to Blender and or Houdini. Combined with Fusion or Nuke and DaVinci Resolve... I seriusly considered Modo in Linux but that software isn't quite my cup of tea. So for now, re-booting to a Windows partition once a day for a bit of LightWave and Affinity's great programs.

roboman
03-09-2017, 08:30 AM
What's preventing newtek from creating a lightwave for linux?

I seem to recall that at one time there was an Amiga, Alpha, Mac, Win and Linux ver. Amiga went away or at least got so old and slow compared to other computers they couldn't keep up and no one bought new software for the now old and slow computer. Alphas cost a lot and the went away when Dell bought Dec, so no more software needed there. Mac and Win are still around and the Linux ver just never sold much. Seems to be why many companies got out of porting to Linux, the Linux community just doesn't buy that much software. If there isn't enough market, there isn't a reason to write the software.

allabulle
03-09-2017, 08:53 AM
Just tried again. No luck. Anyone knows how to activate the license?

Strider_X
03-09-2017, 10:43 AM
I haven't tried this in a while but there a problem with modeler and layout seeing the licence.key file. When installing LightWave I tried setting wine to allow hidden files ( in UNIX/Linux, files or folder names that start with a period are hidden) to be seen. Fallowing the licence activation instructions, should allow LightWave to see thru to .NewTek/LightWave/2015.3/licenses folder and if you look into the licence folder you will see the licence.key file was created successfully. But both applications still refuse to see the licence. I believe this has to do with windows firewall rules that are applied during installation, that need to be set and wine doesn't have an equivalent to handle windows firewall licencing rules.

cagey5
03-09-2017, 01:02 PM
This was my problem last time. The programs just couldn't see the licenses. I don't have Wine installed and neither do I have LW on this computer so I'm not keen on installing various programs and jumping through all the same hoops as last time to arrive at the same point.

btw. I'm talking about using the full LW program not using Linux as a render node etc.

calilifestyle
03-09-2017, 02:51 PM
i know this about linux but does anyone know if LW will run on ReactOS. well at least for rendering .

Verlon
03-11-2017, 08:59 AM
given the close relation of macOS and Linux, it doesn't seem like that much of a stretch. The first hurdle would be the GUI (using Apple specific APIs on mac), but using Qt alleviates that issue.

Tablet version would require a few more hoops to get right.

dulo
03-12-2017, 10:23 AM
i know this about linux but does anyone know if LW will run on ReactOS. well at least for rendering .

The last time I took a look reactos was mainly 32 bit .. the 64 bit version was in its infancy ..

Stardust
07-14-2017, 01:02 PM
Anyone using screamernet under wine?

nemac4
07-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Anyone using screamernet under wine?

I had LW2015.3 running screamernet with wine for a while but I needed butterflynetrender support with split frame rendering which didn't seem to work. Raw screamernet worked fine for me though.

This is an example of my startup .bat file:

wine R:\\Lightwave2015_3_64-win\\programs\\lwsn.exe -2 -cR:\\Lightwave2015_3_64-win\\ -dR:\\RenderMe\\ R:\\Command\\job4 R:\\Command\\ack4

Stardust
07-15-2017, 11:32 AM
I had LW2015.3 running screamernet with wine for a while but I needed butterflynetrender support with split frame rendering which didn't seem to work. Raw screamernet worked fine for me though.

This is an example of my startup .bat file:

wine R:\\Lightwave2015_3_64-win\\programs\\lwsn.exe -2 -cR:\\Lightwave2015_3_64-win\\ -dR:\\RenderMe\\ R:\\Command\\job4 R:\\Command\\ack4

Thank you, i'll try this later.... is it a .bat file or a shell script? ( I've never used Wine before)

nemac4
07-15-2017, 11:43 AM
Thank you, i'll try this later.... is it a .bat file or a shell script? ( I've never used Wine before)

Yes.. shell.
In Opensuse, I would copy and paste it into a shell to run.