PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave not an option to open .LWS files in 11.6.2 ?

Airwaves
04-09-2014, 05:16 PM
I just installed the Lightwave 11.6.2 and after playing in layout and modeler I tried opening one of the scenes I had saved and it asks which program to open with. I went to the choose other program - Then went to program files 11.6.2 - Bin - and then I chose layout.exe but it will not do it. Does anybody else have this issue?

I also tried adding Lightwave to the list of default programs in windows 7 but it is not even there as an option to add. Any help would be great. Thanks.

spherical
04-09-2014, 11:13 PM
I wouldn't trust the Default Programs setting or Open With. Of course, I have multiple LW versions installed, which tends to make things a bit more complex. Still, the better way to go is create a shortcut for each of the two applications and put them in Send To. Then, you can right-click on a file and choose the application to Send it To. You can even have multiple versions available (properly labelled, of course); either by version number or bit depth or both, and direct the file to it. Perfect.

Airwaves
04-10-2014, 12:26 AM
I took off the old versions of lightwave to stay with the current but it would be really nice to be able to just double click and open a scene. Do I need to uninstall and reinstall?

Danner
04-10-2014, 02:57 AM
Control Panel > Control Panel Home > Default Programs > Set Associations
If that doesn't work delete the association using a DOS command typing:
ASSOC .lws =
Now doble click on a .lws file and set the association again.

spherical
04-10-2014, 04:21 AM
Heh, on this system, after going through the usual steps; selecting 11.6.2, 11.6 opens in Discovery mode. Unreliable. Using Send To does as I want it to every time.

Airwaves
04-11-2014, 07:06 PM
Heh, on this system, after going through the usual steps; selecting 11.6.2, 11.6 opens in Discovery mode. Unreliable. Using Send To does as I want it to every time.

I think my problem is not with whether it opens in 11.6.2 or 11.6, I have uninstalled 11.6 but I still cannot double click any LWS file and have it open in Lightwave.

Airwaves
04-11-2014, 07:27 PM
Ok, so I uninstalled and reinstalled and now it gives me the option of layout.exe. I am good to go. Sorry about the confusion if I caused any. Thanks for the help.

spherical
04-11-2014, 10:22 PM
I think my problem is not with whether it opens in 11.6.2 or 11.6, I have uninstalled 11.6 but I still cannot double click any LWS file and have it open in Lightwave.

That wasn't the point. I was illustrating how Borked the file associations mechanism is. Glad you got things sorted but what I was saying is that relying upon Windows' file associations, even when there is only one application installed—let alone 15 of the same type, is unreliable. Placing a shortcut in SendTo reliably solves all of these problems and, instead of a Double-click, it is a Right-click > Select the application (or version) of choice.

Airwaves
04-12-2014, 10:41 AM
That wasn't the point. I was illustrating how Borked the file associations mechanism is. Glad you got things sorted but what I was saying is that relying upon Windows' file associations, even when there is only one application installed—let alone 15 of the same type, is unreliable. Placing a shortcut in SendTo reliably solves all of these problems and, instead of a Double-click, it is a Right-click > Select the application (or version) of choice.

I agree with that. Thank you for your input.