PDA

View Full Version : a way to "down-rez" an all quad mesh?

ArtGoblin
04-09-2014, 03:24 PM
Has there ever been a way to automaticly go back one subdivision so to speak? I took a look at the plugin database and found nothing. What I'm talking about is similare to "reconstruct" in zBrush.... only works if you have an all quad mesh

hrgiger
04-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Not automatically that I know of in LW. The only way I've done it is manually. If you have a lot of regularly spaced loops/polygons, you can get rid of extra polygons pretty easily with bandglue.

ArtGoblin
04-09-2014, 03:41 PM
pretty much what I was doing.... but now I'm pretty sure I'll be a lot quicker to just remodel it from scratch anyways :)

zardoz
04-09-2014, 04:34 PM
there are some scripts, even some free ones for 3ds max. for lw I don't know anything

erikals
04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
no easy way i'm afraid,

you could use a $40 stand-alone app though...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133428-Subd-Recovery

lertola2
04-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Edit: Never mind. I was wrong

JoePoe
04-09-2014, 07:48 PM
no easy way i'm afraid,

you could use a $40 stand-alone app though...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133428-Subd-Recovery

For cryin' out loud. So simple. An elegant little slider. Unless there is something craaaaaazy complicated going on under the hood (bonnet, for by British LW brothers and sisters) why isn't this a native tool?? And I mean native like.... five years ago?? I rarely get perturbed but this one's got me going a little bit.

spherical
04-09-2014, 10:20 PM
I'm probably not understanding the situation but don't Reduce Polys or Reduce Polys+ achieve something along those lines? May not be exactly/ultimately clean but does downsample.

djwaterman
04-09-2014, 10:39 PM
For cryin' out loud. So simple. An elegant little slider. Unless there is something craaaaaazy complicated going on under the hood (bonnet, for by British LW brothers and sisters) why isn't this a native tool?? And I mean native like.... five years ago?? I rarely get perturbed but this one's got me going a little bit.

Well it's not a Lightwave plugin, it's a stand-alone application.

Greenlaw
04-09-2014, 11:26 PM
erikalis, thanks for posting that! I was certain that tool existed but I couldn't remember what it was called and because I wasn't able to track it down through Google searching, I was starting to think maybe it was just wishful thinking.

To add to hrgiger's suggestion, an alternative is to select an edge loop (pick an edge and press right arrow,) then press the Delete key. (Be sure to press Delete and not Backspace.)

G.

Greenlaw
04-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Man, I really need Sub-D Recovery...getting a license now! :)

BTW, if preserving quads isn't a must, I really like using Atangeo Balancer Pro. This tool can dynamically reduce meshes while preserving the most detail possible. The result is highly optimized mesh. Because quads are not preserved, it's not ideal for deforming meshes but if you need to reduce terrain or other non-deforming objects, Balancer Pro is pretty fantastic. Also, it will preserve an existing UV map during reduction. (Single map only though.)

Sometimes I'll output super detailed terrain mesh directly from a 3D Coat voxel sculpture--I'll crank the polygon level up to something ridiculously high, like tens of millions of polygons, and then use Balancer Pro to bring it down to something far more reasonable for LightWave. If I need a UV map for the terrain, I'll bring the reduced mesh back into 3D Coat and use Autopo to generate the UV map.

I'm frequently asked to crank out detailed terrains in just a few hours, and this usually does the trick for me.

G.

zardoz
04-10-2014, 03:34 AM
spherical, what artgoblin is asking for it get the cage that was subpatched and frozen. if subpatch a mesh and then freeze it, it can be hard to get the initial cage. It's possible to do it manually, I've done it a few times, but it can be hard work.

spherical
04-10-2014, 04:30 AM
Ah, I see. That was obviously lost on me. Thanks. Yes, I've had to go that hard route a couple of times.

JoePoe
04-10-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm probably not understanding the situation but don't Reduce Polys or Reduce Polys+ achieve something along those lines? May not be exactly/ultimately clean but does downsample.

Both are really "trying ;)" to do different things than the request. IMHO they're highly unpredictable and give messy results. For me, not a viable option especially when attempting to retain poly flow. Reduce Polys tries to group coplanar polys. And Reduce Polys+(which is really the absorption of the Quemloss plug correct?) makes a mess of things (my opinion) while tripling :D. You can try running MergeTrigonX after, but now we're headed down a rabbit hole. 121361 But yes, they both do reduce.

Well it's not a Lightwave plugin, it's a stand-alone application.

Exactly!! Hence my post.
Maybe I left out two words. It should have read ".... why isn't something like this a native tool?"

:beerchug:

Greenlaw
04-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Maybe I left out two words. It should have read ".... why isn't something like this a native tool?":
I agree that something like this should be in Modeler. But then again, I need to perform this specific task infrequently enough that I won't mind doing it in a standalone program. The price is right too--$40 is not a lot if the tool can save me many hours of tedious work.

G.

daforum
04-11-2014, 02:23 AM
Would MeshMixer work?
Not sure it does quads, only tri's, but then load back into LW and run MergeTrigonX as JoePoe suggests...