PDA

View Full Version : Chamfer VS EdgeBevel/Bevel

ArtGoblin
04-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Just wondering, is there a fundemental difference between the chamfer tool and the bevel tool when used on edges ?

Danner
04-09-2014, 10:09 AM
They do work a bit different, on some objects one will work better than the other. They also do different things to your UV maps.

ArtGoblin
04-09-2014, 10:11 AM
Well, at first it seemed like two versions of the same function, but when I used it on "open-edged" edges, they behave differently.... where Chamfer does the job, edgeBevel gives me funky geometry without even creating a new edgeloop.

- - - Updated - - -

thanks Danner, is chamfer giving more predictable results to the UVs?

Danner
04-09-2014, 10:54 AM
Yes, Chamfer doesn't break the UVs as badly, it actually does a pretty good job on existing geometry, reducing the area on the UV in the same manner as the polygon becomes smaller with the chamfer. But the new geometry is a bit messed up and will have to be re mapped in most cases.

hrgiger
04-09-2014, 11:56 AM
I've never found Edge bevel to be that reliable. Chamfer has worked well for me in most cases but currently there is a bug when using Chamfer on points (which seems to be limited to Windows 8 users) which makes it difficult to use right now.

Oedo 808
04-09-2014, 01:03 PM
Does Chamfer do something Rounder doesn't? I mean apart from being less twitchy, not connecting selections that should be separate and working on open edges?

hrgiger
04-09-2014, 01:26 PM
Does Chamfer do something Rounder doesn't? I mean apart from being less twitchy, not connecting selections that should be separate and working on open edges?

Isn't that enough :). Different tools though sort of like chamfer and fillet are different tools in LWCAD.

Oedo 808
04-09-2014, 02:44 PM
I'm all for having individual tools in the case it might be someone's preference, but it would seem an ideal consolidation, I mean what is Chamfer but Rounder with 1 rounding polygon. Makes a nice Julienne tool too on an edge even where the is no rounding to be done. I guess I'm just eager to see a Rounder that is less twitchy, not connecting selections that should be separate and working on open edges, oh and can be limited to work only within the neighbouring edges. That where my train of thought was leading :p

hrgiger
04-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Yeah in LWCAD chamfer and fillet are two different tools but they're consolidated into the same tool panel so you can switch back and forth between them. There's no reason there couldn't be rounding in Chamfer although its a naming thing, technically chamfer is not a rounding operation.

But I guess that shouldn't matter since bevel isn't a proper name for the bevel tool either :)

probiner
04-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Agree with hrgiger. This is something other packages have solved by having a "method" input. There are several methods and option that can be taken into account, sharp corners, edges crossing, leaving the original edge (so want this). Right now Chamfer tackles Edge Bevel and Rounder issues: basically working with point selection (internally or not) and support for open edges.
Unfortunately it's also a tool that shares the new tools bug: http://screencast.com/t/w2gLyW55WA
(screws up Vmaps)
I think this consolidation will come only in a new paradigm and not in this one.

Cheers