PDA

View Full Version : bucket rendering capability in lw8 [8.5?]

cresshead
11-20-2003, 05:28 PM
bucket rendering capability in lw8 [8.5?] wouod be a great step forward in rendering larger scenes with less ram of using displacments etc..

most top renderers now have this ability such as mental ray, brazil, vray and final render fro examples.

steve g

TSpyrison
11-20-2003, 05:45 PM
for those of us who dont know..
what's bucket rendering?

cresshead
11-20-2003, 06:21 PM
opps!

right a bucket renderer only needs to hold in memory the "area" the size of the render bucket...

so you can say have a bucket size of 32pixels x 32 pixels and that area square from your render is assigned to a single cpu to render that bucket rather than have the whole scene in memory..additional cpu's can have their own buckets and in a network you can assign the whole network to work on a single frame at a time so rendering out difficult frames faster...

meltal ray, vray, final render and brazil all use this.

steveg

Panikos
11-21-2003, 12:07 AM
This is already there, if you exclude features of the program that require Single Segment Rendering. These features are :

- Shadow Noise Reduction
- Radiosity
- Caustics
- XDOF/Digital Confusion
- maybe Sasquatch
- maybe HyperVoxels

Plain LW rendering can be splitted in any number of buckets.
Already SN-Controllers like BNR can auto-split your giant rendering into tiles and distribute the rendering to the farm.

Jockomo
11-30-2003, 12:18 PM
I have to agree with this, I was trying to render out a bucket the other day and I'll be damned if I could get the thing to look right.
I thought maybe my smoothing was set too high but....

... why are you looking at me like that???

cresshead
11-30-2003, 05:06 PM
Panikos, bucket rendering is not the same as splitting up a render to different pc's

read up on it via www.finalrender.com or www.splutterfish.com

stee g

Panikos
11-30-2003, 07:24 PM
Yes, its not identical but similar.

Bucketing needs making the software from the ground up to work in this fashion.

LW uses Z-Buffer sorting of polygons and render in polygon mode and not scanline.
Different approach than scaline rendering which these aps you mention do.

Well, as an alternative Tiles-Rendering works under some preconditions.

Hervé
12-01-2003, 01:12 AM
fact is ..... we hate preconditions..... he he

(just joking)