PDA

View Full Version : Custom Transition help?

JRQuigley
04-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Hello, I'm running on a TC8000.

I've been trying to make custom warp transitions with the ASC. I use After Effects to animate the gradient, and export it as the OpenEXR sequence. When I get it into the ASC and try it, it doesn't warp the video, instead it just displays the gradient, and animated the gradient the way I did it in After Effects.

Simplest example: I'm trying to squeeze video. So In after effects, I animate the gradient from a fullscreen to the appropriate squeeze/crop I'm looking for. This is rendered over a transparent background. I export as OpenEXR sequence, import to ASC, set as Warp A.

When I try to execute the transition, program suddenly switches to the gradient (instead of warping program), squeezes to where I wanted it, and then disappears to show what was in preview.

What am I doing wrong?

Hope my description makes sense, feel free to ask if you're curious about any step of my process.

kanep
04-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Are you importing the OpenEXR sequence into the 'Overlay Animation' or the 'Warp Sequence' in ASC? You need to import it into the warp sequence part of the software. If you don't have any overlay happening, then you need to generate a sequence of 'blank' (full alpha transparent frames) of the same length as your warp sequence to import into the Overlay Animation part of ASC first.

JRQuigley
04-09-2014, 10:05 AM
That is the method I'm doing it. It took a few tries to figure that out though, lol.

But yes, I'm loading my OpenEXR into the Warp sequence, and in After Effects, I turned off all the layers, creating a blank transition of the same length, and rendered that to place it into the overlay. At first, this was the "Ah-hah!" moment where I thought I figured out what I was doing wrong, but when I did this method, it still creates the display I've described.

kltv
04-09-2014, 11:00 AM
If you haven't already, make sure you are working in the higher colorspace necessary for the magic image to work correctly in After Effects. You need to be at 16-bit or 32-bit color. You can see that in the project tab between the new comp button and the trash can icon. If it says 8 bpc, you need to change it. Also, when you run this type of transition on the switcher, be sure to not actually complete the transition with the t-bar. I'm pretty sure that if you do that it will cut to the new source at the completion of the t-bar move or AUTO. So you may want to leave yourself 25% of transition that is all the way squeezed and holding so that you have some wiggle room.

For what it's worth, I haven't had great luck with doing these kinds of transforms in After Effects. The anti-aliasing and normal smoothing processes After Effects does while processing images seems to always give me one hassle or another with shifting or other annoyances. I've tried to be super tricky and turn of some of those features but it doesn't come out clean enough for me. Could be just me…

Kris

JRQuigley
04-09-2014, 11:11 AM
If you haven't already, make sure you are working in the higher colorspace necessary for the magic image to work correctly in After Effects. You need to be at 16-bit or 32-bit color. You can see that in the project tab between the new comp button and the trash can icon. If it says 8 bpc, you need to change it. Also, when you run this type of transition on the switcher, be sure to not actually complete the transition with the t-bar. I'm pretty sure that if you do that it will cut to the new source at the completion of the t-bar move or AUTO. So you may want to leave yourself 25% of transition that is all the way squeezed and holding so that you have some wiggle room.

For what it's worth, I haven't had great luck with doing these kinds of transforms in After Effects. The anti-aliasing and normal smoothing processes After Effects does while processing images seems to always give me one hassle or another with shifting or other annoyances. I've tried to be super tricky and turn of some of those features but it doesn't come out clean enough for me. Could be just me…

Kris

So I just redid everything, went through the same steps (or so I thought) and this time it worked. Cool! I'm pretty happy about this.

Thanks for all the help on this you guys. I'm not sure what I was doing wrong before, but it works now. :)