PDA

View Full Version : Disabling Deselect?

PabloMack
04-07-2014, 10:27 AM
Is it possible to disable deselecting from clicking on an inactive area of the frame in Modeler? I don't know how many thousands of times I have gone through an arduous selection process and then lose all my selection by accidentally clicking on an inactive part of the frame around the preview when trying to click on a nearby button. I would prefer that only the '/' key does the deselection. I just got through cussing once again from this mistake.

Thanks.

erikals
04-07-2014, 11:50 AM
nope, unfortunately not... :/

in Modeler, "LightWave" can make that mistake 10 times a day

i might try to make an AHK script that disables the function in the future...

also, you might want to add "deselect" to the middle mouse button, saves tons of time.

prometheus
04-07-2014, 06:38 PM
nope, unfortunately not... :/

i might try to make an AHK script that disables the function in the future...

also, you might want to add "deselect" to the middle mouse button, saves tons of time.

Umm...I might change my settings to that, Ivé always set deselect to "d" and put the display in a button menu at the bottom in lightwave instead.

jeric_synergy
04-07-2014, 07:24 PM
I don't know how many thousands of times I have gone through an arduous selection process and then lose all my selection by accidentally clicking on an inactive part of the frame around the preview when trying to click on a nearby button.
??? This has virtually NEVER happened to me. Are you using a tablet?

Hmmmm... do these targeted buttons have hotkeys? Since I almost exclusively use hotkeys, maybe that's why I don't experience this.

Those quotes made me laugh: of course it's actually PabloMack making the mistake. The telepathy UI is not fully functional yet.

I'm not trying to be mean here, but a carpenter that repeatedly smashes his thumb shouldn't blame his hammer.

erikals
04-07-2014, 08:27 PM
??? This has virtually NEVER happened to me. Are you using a tablet?
yes indeed, and yes, that makes it much worse...

I'm not trying to be mean here, but a carpenter that repeatedly smashes his thumb shouldn't blame his hammer.
if the hammer is the size of a car i wouldn't blame him

jeric_synergy
04-07-2014, 10:42 PM
I would expect a tablet, from my experience, to have a lot more errant 'mouse'clicks.

I'm sincerely not trying to beat up PM, but .... he's got to get his clicking under control. When I'm teaching PShop, I'm always amazed how my students click 'errantly', and they don't even seem to notice. If they were playing an instrument, it'd jump out at them. I tell my students to slow down.

dee
04-08-2014, 05:56 AM

Well, I like the default Add To Selection on that button, makes selecting several loops much faster.

erikals
04-08-2014, 06:07 AM
any extra mouse button would do, if i used a mouse i'd definitely consider something like this,

http://cdn.overclock.net/8/85/300x300px-LS-85565106_B000AY5Y5W-41Q6YQAJGQL.jpeg

Danner
04-08-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm all for disabling click deselecting, I never use it and I have lost selections by mistake, not often but memorable. This wouldn't be an issue at all if we had undo on selection changes.

erikals
04-08-2014, 09:37 AM
undo on selection changes should be optional though, or accessed through another shortcut, like Shift+Ctrl+Z

though, at times one can get back the selection if undo is used, for then to redo, but it depends on the situation...

jeric_synergy
04-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I'm all for disabling click deselecting, I never use it and I have lost selections by mistake, not often but memorable. This wouldn't be an issue at all if we had undo on selection changes.
I am totally FOR "undo on selection changes" -- should have been done long ago.
+++

On the "middle button" thread: are you guys talking about the MMB menu, or a single mapped click?

+++
Oh wait.... dang! MMB+drag adds to selection!? :foreheads ::headdesk:: ::SIGH::

I suppose I knew that once upon a time....