PDA

View Full Version : NewTek's LightWave 3D Recreates Events for ABC JFK Special

Chuck
11-20-2003, 04:27 PM
NewTek, Inc. today announced that LightWave 3D, winner of the 2003 Emmy Engineering Plaque, was used to create animated forensic illustrations used extensively in the upcoming ABC News special, "Peter Jennings Reporting: The Kennedy Assassination -- Beyond Conspiracy." The special is scheduled to air at 9:00 PM ET on November 20, 2003, just two days before the fortieth anniversary of the assassination. The 3D animation used in the special was created by Dale K. Myers, an Emmy-winning animator who is also an expert on the assassination and author of "With Malice: Lee Harvey Oswald and the Murder of Officer J. D. Tippet." Myers used LightWave to undertake a complete physical re-creation of Dealey Plaza and to duplicate the Zapruder film of the assassination in 3D, with the available data from medical records and other physical evidence taken into account. The result allows the study of the events from any angle and, say sources at ABC News, provides a conclusive demonstration of what occurred on that historic and tragic day in Dallas, November 22, 1963.

For the complete press release see: http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/11-20-03a.html

cresshead
11-20-2003, 04:55 PM
also if your in the u.k you'll see the program this sunday on BBC2 at 9pm....don't miss it!....well..you could tape it!

looks good from what i've read and seen on his website so far.

steve g

js33
11-20-2003, 10:27 PM
I just saw the show and the animation looked really good except for the people. But wasn't this created in 1994 on what LW 4.

If you miss the show I believe you can order a VHS or DVD of it from abc.com.

Cheers,
JS

Matt
11-21-2003, 03:22 AM
There's a documentary on British TV (Sunday 9pm - can't remember which channel) on the JFK assasination. These animations make an apperance by the looks of the trailer.

I'll be tuning in!

Valter
11-21-2003, 09:01 AM
hystory channel??

cresshead
11-21-2003, 09:12 AM
if you read the second post ...you'll see what channel it's on in the u.k [hey am i invisible now??...cooool!]

steve g:rolleyes:

Rich
11-21-2003, 09:45 AM
I have been watching a few of the different JFK specials and caught this one last night on ABC. All I can say is compared to the 3d animation in the other specials I liked this version the best. One of the other specials I had seen i believe on A&E, just had green blobby very unrealistic looking characters. For the ABC special the characters at least resembled JFK and John Connolly. I don't think you need ultra realistic characters for a crime scene re-enactment to get the message across but it really pulls you in to the action. This animation was a great substitute for not having every angle documented. Also from watching the show they seemed to have paid close attention to many details that are often ignored by conspiracy theorists. After seeing this show I am now less believing in there being a second shooter.

js33
11-21-2003, 10:49 AM
For more information about Dale and on how the animation was conceived check out these links.

Newtek Dale Myers interview (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/profiles/DaleMyers/index.html)

Dale Myers Secrets of a Homicide (http://www.jfkfiles.com/jfk/html/content.htm)

Cheers,
JS

Valter
11-21-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by cresshead
if you read the second post ...you'll see what channel it's on in the u.k [hey am i invisible now??...cooool!]

steve g:rolleyes:
I was refer to matt msg

CaptainKirk
11-23-2003, 04:11 AM
Sure,

Why bother with the real thing ( real film and real people in it )when you can use computer generated puppets and animate them to your liking "proving " whatever your lame theory is.

One quick look at that site is enough to see that physics used in this lightwave recreation are totally bogus. A shot fired from that position ( 6th floor ) and entering where they say it did would not come even close to exiting anywhere near your adam's apple ( as claimed ). Exit wound is almost higher up than the entrance wound, something impossible for a shot coming from above. These people are pretty stupid to even try something like this and miss such an obvious fact ( just one of many ).

See this page: http://www.jfkfiles.com/jfk/html/concl2.htm

It's all very easy to see in the original film. No need for 3D.

cresshead
11-23-2003, 06:30 AM
err.. you need to look at th pictures with your monitor turned "on"

the exit wound is lower then the entrance wound...

-use your eyes-

see?

good.

steve g

CaptainKirk
11-23-2003, 08:29 AM
I said almost higher, but since you are obviously wrong I decided to import both pics into photoshop, erase the front and back figures, keep only profiles and get them side by side, as close as possible, , and guess what. Exit wound is actually higher then the entrance wound.

Ridiculous.

badllarma
11-23-2003, 10:33 AM
Actually bullets can change direction within a target especially if as in this case the majorty of it power would of been delivered in the first person hit, it is not unfeasable for the bullet to exit the second victem higher than the point of orginal impact due to the fact it can be reflected of bone, especially if traveling at a lower speed which after traveling through the first person it would have been.

Of course this depends on bullet weight, and speed but it is possible. I have seen deer and other animals with simlar wounds. It can happen often with shooting vermin with a low velocity bullet such as .22 rimfire when the bullet will exit not directly in line with the entrance hole due to it hitting bone.

cresshead
11-23-2003, 09:11 PM
well the program was pretty good and proved it's point to me, that only leaves a few people to be "beamed up"....!

actually if you take the side and back piks [b/w morgue piks]
drop them in p shop

use the creases of skin at the back of the neck as references "rather" than a rotated head profile which can induce huge differences in how to match the piks up you'll see that the exit wound is lower than the entrance wound.

just draw a horizontal line across from a neck crease, then match up the other pik to it.....

then draw a line from the entrance wound horizontally ...and see there the exit wound arrow is....ahhh...below the entrance arow!

i woud attatch a picture to show but it's not really a good place here to post pik's of dead people i think...even 30 years later it can still upset people.

steve g

Matt
11-24-2003, 02:30 AM
I thought it was a clever idea, model the scene as accurately as possible, match the movment of the footage and then you have a full 3D scene to move about in.

(sorry cresshead, missed the Beeb 2 bit in your post!)

cresshead
11-24-2003, 10:05 AM
matt, no problem!

was a good t.v program that showcases lightwave's many uses..not just t.v/film/games and print but also forensic science as well.

steve g

Matt
11-24-2003, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed it, I never knew that Oswald was a loon, well, apart from the fact he bumped off Kennedy, but you know what I mean, I didn't know about his 'history'.

I'd love to visit Deeley Plaza, I imagine it would be quite odd standing on that road and thinking what it must have been like to be stood there watching when all hell broke lose!