PDA

View Full Version : Can someone give more detail on [T3]

Original1
03-05-2003, 02:50 AM
Chuck baker said in his announcement:

Note: VideoToaster [3] relies on the cutting-edge performance of the SSE2 instruction set, and so requires the Intel P4 or AMD Opteron CPU.

does this mean it will only run on the above CPUS?

If it will run on the Athlon MP systems, what sort of preformance hit will we see?

wvp
03-05-2003, 06:53 AM
I would interpret

and so requires the Intel P4 or AMD Opteron CPU
to mean version 3 will not run on anything less (which do not have have the sse2 instructions)
Of course P4 also means Xeon systems

Faraz
03-05-2003, 01:04 PM
From what I understand that not all of T3 requires SSE2 instructions just some of it. So I think if you don't have SSE2 then some things won't work in real-time.

robewil
03-05-2003, 01:23 PM
That seems like a broad assumption Faraz. I keep seeing this argument that you don't really have to have SSE2 for Toaster[3]. But I'm only seeing this from users. I wouldn't believe it until someone from Newtek actually states that SSE2 is not absolutely necessary. Until then, the word "require" kind of says it all.

Paul Lara
03-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Original1
Does this mean it will only run on the above CPUS?
If it will run on the Athlon MP systems, what sort of preformance hit will we see?

I'll try to get an answer for you, sir.

Arte
03-06-2003, 12:02 PM
Speed hit to Athlon would probably the same as everything else... Benchmarks...

Not even LW adheres to the LW benchmark scenes in reality. Newtek do you know this?

Χ

Original1
03-21-2003, 12:26 PM
Paul,

Did you get any more enlightenment on this issue?

Paul Lara
03-21-2003, 04:36 PM
Paul,

Did you get any more enlightenment on this issue?

Toaster [3] will run on non-SSE2 processors, but such functions as 3D positioning will not be real-time.

Original1
03-21-2003, 05:31 PM
that cool,

Its more than compensated for by the other enhancements,
BTW did you see the Question someone posted about DV switching?

entitled "DV end-to-end Linear editing, anyone?"

Are there any firewire cards that will handle multiple cameras simultaneously?

To switch via the SX8 using Y/C would be the best bet right?

Paul Lara
03-21-2003, 08:43 PM
Are there any firewire cards that will handle multiple cameras simultaneously?

Well, most Firewire cards have three external ports, and you can easily find 6-port Firewire cards as well. You can have a camera streaming into each of those ports, and Toaster will switch them.

Yes, Analog is still preferred, since latency on analog streams is very slight, but rather noticeable on firewire streams.

Hetar
03-24-2003, 09:41 PM
such features as 3D positioning will not be real-time without p4 or opturons

Could someone please explain a little more about these features? Is this likely to affect the capability of my system in a real big way? If I could get dual athlons it would sure save me a lot of money, especially since this is just going to be a starter system. Maybe if exactly what these features are and how long it will take to render them without the advanced processors would be really helpful.

EanJay
03-25-2003, 05:31 AM
[B]Well, most Firewire cards have three external ports,

Isn't the 'Maximum length' of Firewire rather short - limits use as 'camera cable'? To go any distance, I think you would have to first convert to some other format (SDI etc.), run the signal through coax - and then convert back to Firewire for input to the computer.

EanJay

Brian Peterson
03-25-2003, 09:18 AM
Could someone please explain a little more about these features? Is this likely to affect the capability of my system in a real big way? If I could get dual athlons it would sure save me a lot of money, especially since this is just going to be a starter system. Maybe if exactly what these features are and how long it will take to render them without the advanced processors would be really helpful.

Hetar,

I haven't seen T3 myself but from the info coming from Newtek, without SSE chips the spline control will not work.

My suggestion would be this, if you are trying to go with Athalons to cut your costs but want the SSE features, to purchase instead of Athalons get the Supermicro, Dual Intel® Xeon, P4DCE Plus, I've found it for under $400 and a single Xeon. this will keep your price in the general area of a dual Athalon system. This will give you the sse features and keep you costs in line. Down the road you can purchase the additional chip and install it for more power.