PDA

View Full Version : UV Help with Xfrog trees (or maybe instancing help)

SteveH
04-06-2014, 10:42 AM
Hi all! Those new free Xfrog trees are nice and all - but all the leaves (for example) have the same UV texture name on them.
Leaf 1 has the same named UV texture as leaf 2. As long as leaf 1 and leaf 2 are on seperate layers that works fine. But I'm trying to get them all on the same layer so that I can instance the tree.

I'm also trying to use clip maps instead of tranparency. That's where I run into problems as I can't clip out everything with a certain UV name - and use different leaf alphas. Hopefully that made sense......what's the best and/or easiest way to fix this?

I'm fine with changing the way I instance them (if that's the solution) or rename each leaf types UV map. I just haven't figured out a way to do that....

There isn't a way to have seperate layers of leaves that are clipped - instanced along with the parent trunk is there? I guess that would be a instance of an instance?

Any help from the LW guru's would be truly appreciated.

prometheus
04-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi all! Those new free Xfrog trees are nice and all - but all the leaves (for example) have the same UV texture name on them.
Leaf 1 has the same named UV texture as leaf 2. As long as leaf 1 and leaf 2 are on seperate layers that works fine. But I'm trying to get them all on the same layer so that I can instance the tree.

I'm also trying to use clip maps instead of tranparency. That's where I run into problems as I can't clip out everything with a certain UV name - and use different leaf alphas. Hopefully that made sense......what's the best and/or easiest way to fix this?

I'm fine with changing the way I instance them (if that's the solution) or rename each leaf types UV map. I just haven't figured out a way to do that....

There isn't a way to have seperate layers of leaves that are clipped - instanced along with the parent trunk is there? I guess that would be a instance of an instance?

Any help from the LW guru's would be truly appreciated.

which one of the tree samples did you use? ..so we can test it.

SteveH
04-06-2014, 06:33 PM
Prometheus. I was working with OC28_1 - the Callistmon Salignus Willow bottlebrush
texuv is the name of the UV map for all leaves, flowers etc.

prometheus
04-06-2014, 07:33 PM
Prometheus. I was working with OC28_1 - the Callistmon Salignus Willow bottlebrush
texuv is the name of the UV map for all leaves, flowers etc.

Oh..itīs bedtime now, sadly my subscriptions to the threads donīt work now since the first of april, so I can only get notified if I do a manually browse and check of my subscribed threads, which actually arenīt subscribed anymore since I donīt get any mails:( and yes I have checked and checked my general settings to have them instantly...but nada.

Have to download that model and check tomorrow, unless someone else test it.

updated...canīt find that species ..at least not from the latest released in march, do you have a link to it? it is one of the free ones right?

Michael

sukardi
04-06-2014, 07:43 PM
SteveH,

Just a thought - you can actually instance multiple layers on a hierarchy. Here's how I do it

1. Create a scene layer with all the hierarchy and clip map info and save it in my library.
2. Whenever I need the tree, I just load from scene.

You probably know about it already...

prometheus
04-06-2014, 08:14 PM
I found the model...so will check tomorrow..read 8-9 hours from now.

But as mentioned, you can clone any object that has layers.
The underlying layers must be parented to a first layer though, then in the instance generator item list, you have a visibility check box, the left symbol next to the text item.

You can also, use another object in the scene and drag beneath another object in the parenting hiearchy and you will have that object instanced together with the others, but you are still just managing one instance Main object so to speak in the instancer.

Michael

SteveH
04-15-2014, 06:28 AM
Thanks to both of you. I did get it to work. I did remember (once I read it) I had to parent the layers - and check the little box on the instancing tab. Geez.....I guess I'm getting to old for this crap. I learn something, then forget it - then have to learn it all over again!

prometheus
04-15-2014, 09:09 AM
Thanks to both of you. I did get it to work. I did remember (once I read it) I had to parent the layers - and check the little box on the instancing tab. Geez.....I guess I'm getting to old for this crap. I learn something, then forget it - then have to learn it all over again!

Im not sure, but the parent and layer instancing option should be on a good showcase in the lightwave3D youtube site when they showcase it, maybe they did somewhere? canīt recall..however, LIGHTWAVE DOCUMENTATION..some of us....Including myself are to sloppy not reading them through, and then we ask for better documentation:) huh...but then again those two anamolies might go hand in hand, if there were a better documentation or easier acess from within ligthwave and the help button, it might have been easier..I am not surewhich is best? pdf or html index accessable from lightwave?

the hiearchy checkbox for instancing layers is documented at the end of page 17. Lightwave 11.5 addendum

I think I saw something about lw 12 getting a new help system, due to different upgrade help pdf files.. it could very well be a factor that causes people not finding what they want or not reading them through properly,
It there was One single helpsystem online, or offline with a Full coverage of all releases, then you simply can browse through one single help system for whatever you want, thatīs the nature of lazy things as us users..and energy conserving organism or thermo dynamics, find the fastest less energy consuming way to get where you want:)

Michael