PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave distances in After Effects?

Sebasvideo
04-06-2014, 09:25 AM
I thought I would find lots of info on this, but apparently it's not a popular topic. I'm trying to find out what's the equivalence for distances between Lightwave and After Effects, especially when it comes to Element 3D to place objects in After Effects. In any real 3D program distances are in real world measurements, whether it's metric or the godawful imperial system. But in After Effects everything is in pixels, quite ridiculous for a 3D environment, but it is what it is.

So for example, if I want to put a city in the distance in AE, say 5 km on the Z axis, what's the number of pixels I would set for that object? By eyeballing it, it would seem that 1 km equals 10,000 pixels, but when scrubbing the timeline with the camera I exported from Lightwave, it doesn't seem to match.

raw-m
04-06-2014, 12:50 PM
I always thought that 1m in LW was 100px in AE. The best way to tell is creating a null in LW where you want and send that through to AE. Don't forget to send the camera across to AE, as well. That will cause mis-alignment if they aren't setup the same.

Sebasvideo
04-06-2014, 01:02 PM
I always thought that 1m in LW was 100px in AE. The best way to tell is creating a null in LW where you want and send that through to AE. Don't forget to send the camera across to AE, as well. That will cause mis-alignment if they aren't setup the same.

Thanks, I forgot that the AE plugin also sends nulls, I sent only the camera. That would have saved me a lot of time if I had remembered it.

Sebasvideo
04-06-2014, 02:35 PM
You're right, 1m=100 pixels.