PDA

View Full Version : Wrap around with over-reach

raw-m
04-06-2014, 09:09 AM
I need help!

I have an object that wraps itself around another object and at the end forms a solid shell so you can't see any joins - it's totally smooth.

So far it's been pretty easy. I've lathed an object out on Modeler and shaped it the way it should look when resolved. In Layout I'm using DP Kits Shifter to animate it out (I could also use SG Fertilizer with a weight map). Piece of cake!

But... As the object wraps around I want a slight over stretch so it doesn't stick to the objects contours.

I've tried adding a Morphmap and various other displacements but they all do something funny to the Shifter effect. I've also tried using the Texure Editor to animate a Boolean effect instead of displacements which would work with a bit of DP kitting/morph mapping but I can't cap the ends of the object as it animates, so it's a no go.

Any suggestions?

bazsa73
04-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I cannot imagine this problem without seeing it, sorry.

raw-m
04-06-2014, 12:22 PM
This is really annoying as I've got it to work but no idea how! Can someone explain it to me?

The Weightmap on the model is straight forward:

I'm using a Gradient with two keys, one at 110% the other at 100%, the values for Scaling between on the XZ. These are close together, the wider apart they are the greater the effect.

The only thing with an Envelope on it is the Scalar that is plugged into the Shifter node, 0-1 over 80 frames.

I would have expected to have animated the keys in the Gradient to follow the Scalar Envelope in the Shifter node. Turns out I don't need to as the Delta going into the Scale node is also driving the keys in the Gradient.

I really want to understand why this is working this way for future reference. What's happening!!?