PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Engine 4 GDC 2014

geo_n
04-05-2014, 11:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcxA_xYnHZ8

meshpig
04-06-2014, 05:31 AM
It would bore you to tears very quickly. It's really just another game within a game within a game... you could do better for $19 pm.

safetyman
04-06-2014, 06:04 AM
Looks pretty cool. Is there still a free version for non-commercial work?

Question: Why do game engines render everything in realtime, but for 3D programs we have to wait? Couldn't we have a hybrid system that has all the functionality of a 3D program with everything rendered in realtime as you work?

meshpig
04-06-2014, 06:29 AM

Question: Why do game engines render everything in realtime, but for 3D programs we have to wait? Couldn't we have a hybrid system that has all the functionality of a 3D program with everything rendered in realtime as you work?

The fun part of game engines is the economy of realtime rendering... :)

- If you have 2800 horizontal processors you could.

fablefox
04-06-2014, 06:50 AM

I think there is, Milkshake 3D if I remember correctly. It was basically real time 3d modeller that focus on making game models - hence real time rendering. You work in real time, and WYSISYG. You can animate your model and play it, and that is how it look in game.

meshpig
04-06-2014, 07:05 AM
I think there is, Milkshake 3D if I remember correctly. It was basically real time 3d modeller that focus on making game models - hence real time rendering. You work in real time, and WYSISYG. You can animate your model and play it, and that is how it look in game.

Yeah yeah, try this. Pretty neat and free. Full export to .obj with UV's and NRM's etc.

http://www.mixamo.com/fuse

wesleycorgi
04-06-2014, 07:06 AM
It would bore you to tears very quickly. It's really just another game within a game within a game... you could do better for $19 pm.
I'm curious, what are the options for better than $19/month that is cross platform (mobile and desktop)? I've jumped in and am playing with the Unreal Engine right now. If I decided to quit next month, I am allowed to keep the version that I'm at.

I've been using the Unity free version, but a lot of the features that I'm interested in are only available in the full version.

meshpig
04-06-2014, 07:24 AM
I'm curious, what are the options for better than $19/month that is cross platform (mobile and desktop)? I've jumped in and am playing with the Unreal Engine right now. If I decided to quit next month, I am allowed to keep the version that I'm at.

I've been using the Unity free version, but a lot of the features that I'm interested in are only available in the full version.

You have to bite the bullet and learn at least Javascript. I mean Unity even is pretty useless if you can't manage the code. But that's also the creative edge, otherwise you're being played.

tyrot
04-06-2014, 08:28 AM
cool video but i m so waiting Unity 5 !:)

jasonwestmas
04-06-2014, 08:50 AM

Yeah, there are other programs that are doing that hybrid hardware/software rendering right now. . . it's still a new concept relatively speaking. However raytracing and highpoly (Non-realtime) rendering is always going to be much better at "closeup" renderings of models.

jasonwestmas
04-06-2014, 09:01 AM

I don't think that exists anymore since Epic is requiring students to sign up for a subscription if they install Unreal 4 on their own personal computer.

https://www.unrealengine.com/faq#education

jasonwestmas
04-06-2014, 09:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VitLyrynBgU#t=392

clintonman
04-06-2014, 10:42 AM
If you cancel before the next month you can still use what you downloaded. If you see an update in the future you need just resubscribe, pay $19, download and unsubscribe again. In Epic's answer pages they say it's ok to do this.