PDA

View Full Version : Youtube Video Tip - Showing a huge increase in OpenGL Performance!!

jboudreau
04-05-2014, 01:35 AM
Hi Guys

I made this video to show how you can get a huge increase in OpenGL performance when you change your 3D profile from Base Profile to 3D App - Visual Simulation when using a Nvidia Quadro Card.

I'm using the Newtek Lighwave 3D software for demonstration purposes. This may increase performance in other 3D software as well. The scene I'm using is part of the Lightwave content package. It was originally named Performance Mammoth.lws. I changed the scene to have only 60 instances instead of 100 because when using the base profile settings this scene is very unstable but not when I use the 3D App - Visual Simulation profile as you will see in the video.

Please leave any comments and let me know if it increased your overall openGl performance especially when using a Nvidia Quadro GPU in Lightwave 3D.

Thanks for watching

Best viewed in 720p HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zDFeD7z4rQ

dwburman
04-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Wow. That is a dramatic difference!

bobakabob
04-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Jboudreau,
Many thanks for this as it's essential advice for those LW users with Quadros. Performance is already good on my k2000. I checked my Dell 7600 and it was already set to '3D App' (convinced it was the default. I don't remember changing it).

allabulle
04-06-2014, 03:34 PM
Interesting video. Which Quadro were you using?

LW_Will
04-06-2014, 04:44 PM
So... I couldn't find any of the programs in the nVidia Control Panel. None, so I attempted to add the layout and modeler programs into panel. The program chose its one defaults, I assume which were taken from the programs. I took them and added them to defaults in the program. It worked! Amazing response, and it was noticeably faster. Bravo.

allabulle
04-06-2014, 05:05 PM
It worked very well here too. In this machine with an ancient Quadro FX1700 the performance is far from that of the video, but the change in the driver's settings improved performance a lot nonetheless. Thanks for the tip.

jboudreau
04-06-2014, 05:48 PM
Interesting video. Which Quadro were you using?

Hi,

I'm using the Nvidia Quadro K5000 GPU

jboudreau
04-06-2014, 06:00 PM
It worked very well here too. In this machine with an ancient Quadro FX1700 the performance is far from that of the video, but the change in the driver's settings improved performance a lot nonetheless. Thanks for the tip.

Awesome glad to see the settings made a difference. The problem with using the base profile settings for all the quadro cards is nvidia has an issue with their quado drivers. Their is a problem with the nvoglv64.dll file that causes slow zooming in/out and rotating performance that usually results in a crash. Using the 3D App - Visual Simulation fixes this issue. I have flagged this to the newtek team a while back and they told me they would get in touch with nvidia to find out why when using this profile lightwaves openGL is extremely faster than the base line profile. I still haven't heard back and still it's not fixed. So this is the only fix that will give you the most performance out of your quadro card.

Another set of setting you can change in the program settings are:

Under the "Program Settings" tab, add lightwave.exe & Modeler.exe as a program to customize. Specify the settings for the program as follows:

Maximum pre-rendered frames = Use the 3D application setting
Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration = Multiple display performance modeOpenGL rendering GPU = Quadro K50000 (this will vary depending on the card)
Vertical sync = Use the 3D application setting

Hope this helps

Thanks
Jason

jboudreau
04-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Jboudreau,
Many thanks for this as it's essential advice for those LW users with Quadros. Performance is already good on my k2000. I checked my Dell 7600 and it was already set to '3D App' (convinced it was the default. I don't remember changing it).

Awesome. Yeah default is usually baseline profile so somehow at some point it got changed. I bet if you change it back to baseline profile you will see a huge decrease in openGL performance

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. That is a dramatic difference!

Oh I know it's night and day difference. I'll never go back to the baseline profile. I wish nvidia and newtek would fix this.

allabulle
04-07-2014, 07:15 AM
I noticed, following your suggestions, that I can also set my second and more powerful graphics card to compute OpenGL operations even if the two 24" monitors are driven by the first (Quadro FX 1700). This also boosted performance a lot. I didn't know one could do that either.

Since LightWave doesn't use CUDA, I had a more powerful graphics card idle. When using other software, I can still drive the OpenGL with the Quadro and using the other for CUDA. Having the settings defined per program is proving to be quite useful and my overall system performance doing 3D now is notably better. So thanks again jboudreau!

erikals
04-07-2014, 12:54 PM
nice, will this work for non-quadro too... ?

allabulle
04-07-2014, 12:59 PM
I think you need the Quadro drivers that only work with a Quadro card (I don't know about modded cards, though).

spherical
04-07-2014, 02:56 PM
Quadro drivers are the only ones that have ever had the CAD/3D application options. All you get on a consumer card are games. The driver installer queries the card to get a hardware classification number and, unless the installer can be fooled, as we used to do with SoftQuadro or physically modifying the card by adding/removing resistors (still possible), the driver refuses to install. If you can get the installer to think that a Quadro is in the system, the drivers will install and you will have the options available and they will work. It's the same chip.

jimiclaybrooks
07-21-2017, 03:37 PM
I have a non quadro card, the Nvidia Gforce GTX 1080. Is it possible to change the drivers this with my card, or would you advise against it? Thanks