PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Sphere?

LWHound
04-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Hi,

I was watching this spiral sphere video on youtube using Maya (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxrJ41FzYk)
and wondered if the same result could be acheived in LW?

kindest regards,

LWHound

JoePoe
04-04-2014, 09:57 AM
I did not watch. I only looked at the initial end result example so maybe I'm missing the point.
Is there something wrong with simply twisting a sphere?

I have no idea what he was doing for an hour in that vid (my curiosity is killing me though :D), but I did this in about 2 minutes (it's still in modeler of course).
Glowing effects can be applied to whatever surface you want.

LWHound
04-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Joe, you are, of course, quite correct. My Friday energy level must be at a pretty low ebb to have not realised that myself. Can't beleive I even asked that now.

I have punched myself in the face on your collective behalf.

kindest regards,

PPCHound. (currently wearing the cone of shame)

jeric_synergy
04-04-2014, 10:30 AM
I have punched myself in the face on your collective behalf.
Now, THAT'S courtesy!!!

jeric_synergy
04-04-2014, 10:46 AM
That's w/UV mapping, right? Or did you use a procedural texture?

JoePoe
04-04-2014, 11:36 AM
:lol: I'd rather you assault your tongue with your beer of choice!! :D

I'm actually feeling the same way. Spent about an hour trying to figure out why I wasn't getting a nice normal displacement until I realized I was making the same fundamental error over and over and over again (I was using the "T" in displacement rather than going straight into nodes.... :foreheads).

Anyway, looked a every five minutes or so of the vid (that dude is whacked).... He did, however, have a little thickness to the sections. Nothing a mutishift can't handle. 121176

And I guess that answers your question Jeric...... all geometry.

jboudreau
04-04-2014, 01:54 PM
I did not watch. I only looked at the initial end result example so maybe I'm missing the point.
Is there something wrong with simply twisting a sphere?

I have no idea what he was doing for an hour in that vid (my curiosity is killing me though :D), but I did this in about 2 minutes (it's still in modeler of course).
Glowing effects can be applied to whatever surface you want.

OMG I just watched the video of the guy making that spiral ball in Maya and the reason it took so long is he had to select each polygon one at a time. he said in the video that if he selected the first two polygons and then hit the arrow key like in lightwave to select the connected polygons it wouldn't select all the polygons so he had to do it one at a time. (not sure why this is) WOW!! We don't have this issue in lightwave. Just use twist on a ball the select two polygons press the right arrow key and apply a different surface repeat around the whole ball. Once this is done you can use w key to select the new surface so you can smooth shift it if you want to add some depty or bevel edge or whatever else you might want to do with it.

jeric_synergy
04-04-2014, 06:54 PM
And I guess that answers your question Jeric...... all geometry.
Geeze, if it's fine enough geometry, two minutes is plenty of time.

Textures would actually be more difficult. (cue swampy to show me how very wrong I am.....)

And while it's nice to hear how the grass isn't ALWAYS greener, it sounds like maybe this fellow is a bit clueless in Maya.

JoePoe
04-04-2014, 07:05 PM

Textures would actually be more difficult.

Of course! Why do you think I did it this way? :D

....and 90 seconds of the 2 min were spent scratching my head and making the poles nice and round, cuz' I was thinking there's gotta be something more to an hr video...and that's all I saw.

But that guy was actually on to something. A spiral is nothing, but a diagonal pattern in both directions is something else. (I don't have shrink wrap.... maybe that's different now).
But using Chamfer to start, as the tutorial guy did, our very own Kuzey came up with a nice procedure he offered in his Viking Helmet thread (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140503-Viking-Helmet-Tutorial) :thumbsup:.

JoePoe
04-04-2014, 09:34 PM
Oh, and btw..... by texture.... basically just as easy.
(but you lose the ability to thicken the actual geometry though)

JamesCurtis
04-04-2014, 11:53 PM
The guy in the vid spent a lot of the time clearing his throat!! If it was me, I would have edited out that!!

Oh, and by the way, it only took me a few minutes as well to create the twisted sphere in LW - and that included using the new Thicken tool in Modeler to give it a thickness every other band!

jeric_synergy
04-05-2014, 01:54 AM
Just messing around, and if you pick a POLE poly and the next out, SEL LOOP doesn't work (here, after twisting IIRC), but if you also select the THIRD one out, then it works.

I wonder if this is also true in MAYA, and if this guy will be kicking himself if so.....

Sensei
04-05-2014, 07:00 AM
I didn't watch video either. Used Rotate with Linear Falloff. Took less than 1 minute.
I will make video today later.

JoePoe
04-05-2014, 09:07 AM
Just messing around, and if you pick a POLE poly and the next out, SEL LOOP doesn't work (here, after twisting IIRC), but if you also select the THIRD one out, then it works.

I wonder if this is also true in MAYA, and if this guy will be kicking himself if so.....

Select loop doesn't like tris. Won't work on a pre-twisted mesh either. (but select path will accept them as start and stop points....)

2 selection tips:

1) Select all your pairs (of quads) at the same time and hit select loop once..... instead of going back and forth.

2) don't even touch your model!! Use Select Nth with settings 2,1. Bang you're done!! (in my initial example above it was 3,1)

(and of course there's a way to select loop in Maya (shift double click on the adjacent poly), but to me that was the least of his problems. The geometry he came up with was pretty nasty. Maybe just an off day 8~)

Sensei
04-05-2014, 09:38 AM
Video tutorial of mine approach:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyoZPuoucRs

jeric_synergy
04-05-2014, 11:04 AM
Select loop doesn't like tris. Won't work on a pre-twisted mesh either.
Really??? Works fine on a pre-twisted HEMIsphere.

Sensei
04-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Jeric, select polys like here, and then selection > select loop.

JoePoe
04-05-2014, 12:53 PM
That will not work for me. I'm in 9.6, maybe select loop has gotten more robust :D.
I only get a loop when selecting like this 121194 and even then the tri is not included.

Anyway..... went for the trifecta, procedural spirals.
For some reason the "regular" spirals (which has multiple arms... which would have made very short work of it) was leaving a nasty seam (any ideas?).
So I had to use the Rman collection spiral (which is just an individual spiral) rotated, hence the bunch. Maybe there's a solution using an array of straight lines and twist :hey:.

jeric_synergy
04-05-2014, 11:49 PM
Jeric, select polys like here, and then selection > select loop.
Sensei, that's exactly what I did, and 11.6.2Win did not select the (demi) loop (untwisted). Selecting the next quad worked fine. Selecting JUST the 2 northmost quads works also, but the tris at the poles are not selected.

Sel Loop worked both twisted and nottwisted.