PDA

View Full Version : expressions, instances, and flocking.. oh my

TwoCoins
04-03-2014, 01:33 PM
So I have this idea where soccer balls would roll Into a shape roll away then form another and so on.. When I instance my soccer ball object for the flock they just move along the ground plane. They don't roll I thought using relativity on the original ball would solve It. It does not. I Feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Ideas?

The ball object isn't moving. Its pretty much for reference.

MSherak
04-03-2014, 03:17 PM
So I have this idea where soccer balls would roll Into a shape roll away then form another and so on.. When I instance my soccer ball object for the flock they just move along the ground plane. They don't roll I thought using relativity on the original ball would solve It. It does not. I Feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Ideas?

Remember an instance is a reference of the original. So unless the original is rolling the instances won't. Now there are plugins that can turn instances into copies in which case then they would act right since they are no longer referencing anything.

-MSherak

TwoCoins
04-03-2014, 03:32 PM
That's what I thought so I moved the original and had the flock follow it but it still isn't getting the right effect. Some of the balls swing out and orbit tighter before stopping which is what I want but the actual roll isn't matching. Know of any of these plugins off hand? Would I still be able to use with flocking or save the motion file?

Thomas Leitner
04-04-2014, 05:12 AM
....When I instance my soccer ball object for the flock they just move along the ground plane. They don't roll I thought using relativity on the original ball would solve It. It does not. I Feel like I'm missing something obvious.

Ideas?

Hi,
to animate your insances independent you have to use the settings in the Instance Generator. Donīt animate the source object (not even with expressions).

So to get this work use the node editor in your Instance Generator. You cannot use relativity there so you have to set it up with nodes.

Unfortunately, I'm not a node expert, but here possibly you can find a solution for your problem:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136328-Nodal-motion-Wheel/page2

XswampyX posted a node network that could work for you. I have the node setup adapted to your problem (import it into the node editor):

You have to use it in the node editor inside the Instance Generator. Plug the Vector into Rotation. To make it work you have to use the "Uniform" Mode under the Rotation tab in the Instance Generator (I donīt know why).
I hope it works correct.

OK: This setup seems to work only in the Z axis....as I said: I'm not a node expert.

ciao
Thomas

Thomas Leitner
04-04-2014, 05:44 AM
....OK: This setup seems to work only in the Z axis....as I said: I'm not a node expert....

Hi,
here is another node:

This seems to work in X and Z axis, but not if you change completely the direction....

Please change the diameter nodes to the diameter of your balls!!!!

ciao
Thomas

TwoCoins
04-12-2014, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your help Thomas. I'm going to experiment with these.