PDA

View Full Version : New Tutorials

RebelHill
04-03-2014, 10:57 AM
So... I'm doing a bit of forward looking here, putting things on the list that I may (or may not) do over coming weeks and months... And its been a year now since I last cracked on with a major tutorial series for LW, so that's one possibility that may be a go-er to put into action over summer.

And thus the poll... If I do, what topic would folk most like to have covered?

Cheers.

Oedo 808
04-03-2014, 11:20 AM
For me personally, mathematics would be what I'd like to see, I've fallen so far since my college days and I'm quite happy to learn programming under my own steam, but I could do with a bit of spoon feeding on the maths.

Ryan Roye
04-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Python and math for computer graphics, in that order.

For Python, just my opinion but it'd be a good idea to provide examples that provide immediate benefit to the user after they create their script... such as explaining a workflow issue with Lightwave, and how the user can employ scripting to turn a series of steps into a single button press.

For math and computer graphics... I'm guessing this is in terms of motion? Visual effects? Both?

Eagle66
04-03-2014, 12:40 PM
I vote for complete animation, but non biped! I'am looking for animal (a dinosaur or dragon) setup and animation in LW, but there is nothing for LW 11.5 using Genoma or ikbooster and generate a simple realistic looking walk cycle...

willin
04-03-2014, 12:55 PM
I would have to go with math, motion, detection, trajectories, splines. You can't program in 3D until you know your math, at least nothing significant.

wesleycorgi
04-03-2014, 01:15 PM
My write-in: DP Plugins.

GoatDude
04-03-2014, 09:58 PM
I agree. There's many tutorials about rigging quadrupeds, but not many on animating. Mine are pathetic.

erikals
04-04-2014, 12:51 AM
My write-in: DP Plugins.

+5

geo_n
04-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Voted for animation. There's really only a few tutorials available for lw that deals with character animation. Only Todd Grimes Desktop animation offers in depth character animation that I watched for lw that is of good quality.
Want to watch how RH rigs are actually used in practical production.
Blocking out first pass with RH rigs.
Multiple character interaction, making a fighting scene.
Dynamic weapon and props use by characters.
A slower paced mocap>hand keyed animation like the Hulk fbx video using the fbx rig which was too fast imho.
Character animation comparison of light weight and heavy weight characters using RH rigs.
Facial animation with RH rigs
Creature quadrupedal animation, stalking, jumping, etc.

Bart
04-04-2014, 01:25 AM
I believe that not only myself but others would like tutorials perhaps set out as projects so that a double benefit could be obtained.
Firstly the learning or academic perspective of the tutorials enhancing further knowledge of the RHiggit and or LW preferably (Genoma-mychoice) system.
Secondly by providing them as interactive projects it would encourage not only a better understanding but a feeling of accomplishment and participation resulting in a need to use the product more readily.
As to what areas to encompass, that is or something that could be quiet broad in its spectrum.
But perhaps an ongoing tutorial/s with a common theme which could provide learning from modeling processes into rigging finishing off with an animated scene, or even perhaps an encyclopedia/dictionary of terminology in these areas etc, etc.
Small side tutorials relating to the project for the more experienced of those that need them could be added.
God knows I need as much help as I can possibly get. I am sick and tired of trying to create and animate models with permanent disabilities filling up the 3d model hospital to over capacity.
This would provide you with areas to expand that I am sure that only you could think of.

vector
04-04-2014, 02:33 AM
Nodes, specially Dpont, db&w, Pom's ones. Very useful but criptic for complete your nodal tut's series

RebelHill
04-05-2014, 10:35 AM
I did think animation itself might be a popular favourite... Ofc, like my other stuff, Id be approaching it in a very "general" way to try and teach the process that folk can follow, irrespective of what they're animating, work up to specific cases of this kind of character, that kind of creature, etc. Ofc, if there're any particular wants to that end... post em up.

Cheers.

Kryslin
04-05-2014, 02:33 PM
Hmmm....

Python, 3D Math (as it applies to Lightwave), Animation (Biped, Quadruped, Interaction w/characters and scene)... in no particular order.

GoatDude
04-05-2014, 10:13 PM
I'd buy into any of the above tutorials. My preference would be quadruped animation. I've looked at Proton's dog in the lightwave sample content and a You Tube
Video on Maya. Both helpful, but my results are not good. I probably just need more practice, or maybe just stick to animating slime.

hrgiger
04-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Personally Id love to see any tutorials on 3D Math. I mean nodes, of course I would always want to know more but I think a solid foundation in 3D math fundamentals would be more helpful in determining when and where to use the various nodes as a lot of nodal setups are doing assorted math operations. You already have a great introductory course to nodes in LW, Id like to see one more focused on the math and how it is used.

Shnoze Shmon
04-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Scripting (LScript)
Scripting (Python)
Scripting (Generalised, LS/PY)

How about a post explaining why, if I'm not planning to develop a plugin, these things would matter to me?

I'm no programmer. From what I've seen most LWers aren't either given the number of request for other people to make plugins.

If these tools have other relevant applications it would be good to know.

RebelHill
04-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Well...

What exactly you would define as a plugin is somewhat "negotiable"... Any piece of code (stored in a file) loaded and run in LW, could be thought of as such. Your program may be huge and complex... or it may only be a single line long... for instance...

Position(Scene().firstSelect().firstChild().param( WPOSITION,0));

Is a "plugin" which moves the selected item to the world position of its first child item as recorded at time=0 (probably not a particularly useful tool, but hey). But consider what's going on, and what you'd have to do to do that manually... You'd either have to eyeball the position of the child, grab the parent, and try and move it to that same spot, or, youd have to throw in an extra item (like a null), snap drag it to that child position, then go back, grab the parent, snap drag it, remove the null. Writing a quick line of code in less than 5 seconds, and then just click, click, clicking it however many times for any number of items... clearly MUCH faster.

A more common case could be seen in a task from a couple years back... I got sent a whole stack of mocap motions (to fix), which were needed for retargeting to an LW rig... Problem was, the source skeletons had some items misnamed, were facing the wrong direction, and also had a couple items that needed reparenting. No biggie, only took a few minutes to load one up, do the corrections, and save it back out... Problem was there were over 200 of them that needed the exact same adjustments made, that's a whole days work (very boring work) right there.

Obviously, you CANT expect there to EVER be a native tool in any app which'd do this for you... because its a unique, case specific problem. However, since its the same procedure that just needed repeating on every single file... it becomes scriptable. Write the "operations list" to a script, point it to the folder... let 'er rip... 10 mins to write the code, 5 mins to test it and 1 more to let it do its thing on all 200 files. That's a hell of a time saving when you're on a production deadline.

So why's it important... Because this "command" based access is part of the interface too, and being able to use it will open up worlds of possibility previously unavailable to the user, or available only at a much greater time cost.

battery555
04-07-2014, 11:17 PM
Animation. No doubt about it. Ideally clothed character.