PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Pass help

Otterman
04-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Hi Wavers. It's been a while since I have had chance to post on this site but I have a burning question I could do with the communities advise. Here it goes...

When rendering out as a PSD Export, the shadow pass always looks very "choppy" to say the least. I thought this might be radiosity settings so I have cranked up both the Rays per Evaluation and Secondary Bounce Rays but with no significant improvement.

Any suggestions to how to get a nice clean shadow pass. What settings to tweak?

Cheers

lardbros
04-03-2014, 06:23 AM
I've had this before, but it was because I had my shadows colour set to white in the light panel (to make sure it wasn't visible in the diffuse pass) and therefore the shadow pass wasn't getting any more samples from the adaptive sampling AA.

I went in and changed my adaptive sampling to something much lower, like 0.001 and this fixed it!

Is there any more info for us to look at?
Anti-aliasing settings, shadow settings etc

Sensei
04-03-2014, 07:25 AM
Forgetting about adaptive AA, and doing normal old school multi-passes, should have the same effect. I think.

Otterman
04-03-2014, 07:27 AM
HI LArdbro, thanks for chipping in.

No I dont think it's the shadow settings as I have these set to black. Perhaps I need to crank up my adaptive sampling....eeik render times will go through the roof wont they?

Heres what they are currently set to...any tips?

lardbros
04-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Hmmm... it all looks fine to me. Maybe there is something odd about the Photoshop export function?
I'm sure others will chip in with some help, but I'm stumped.

Have you set any Linear Colour Space settings? I'm not sure the Photoshop export abides to any of these LCS settings... but it doesn't look like it's anything to do with that.

raw-m
04-03-2014, 10:38 AM
I've had this before, but it was because I had my shadows colour set to white in the light panel (to make sure it wasn't visible in the diffuse pass) and therefore the shadow pass wasn't getting any more samples from the adaptive sampling AA.

I went in and changed my adaptive sampling to something much lower, like 0.001 and this fixed it!

Thats a great tip! If I have loads of lights and set all their shadow colour to white, does it still work Ok in the diffuse pass, even where the shadows cross?