PDA

View Full Version : Beginner's Question

Columbo24
04-02-2014, 01:42 PM
Hi
I'm new to animation. I have experience with motion and AE. I've been studying tutorials for 2 months so I'm a true neophyte with any type of 3D software. I have a few questions
1.Am I at the proper place to be asking basic questions about Lightwave? If not here,where?
2.I've been able to create a multitude of various household items for practice in lightwave, but am struggling with organic shapes or adding detail to objects. I 'd like move and change polygons for example creating a very basic cartoon like face. Can anyone recommend some modeling tutorials that go beyond the basics, but are not too difficult to understand.
3.Final question. I've created a spider robot from the Johnny Quest cartoons that I'm compositing over video footage. This spider is a sphere with one eye in the center that moves(I've created this). It has four cylindrical legs. These legs grow out of the sphere at the top. They grow out straight up for one third their length. Then it continues for another third at a 45 degree angle and the same thing for the last third. So basically it is a sphere with four legs and each leg bends at two points. I start with one leg and add a bone with two child bones. I keyframe the stretch tool and have the leg grow vertically from the sphere, but it needs to bend as it's growing and ultimately touch the ground. I try animating the bones in concert with the stretch tool but with funky results. Can anybody help me with this?
I love 3D. It's truly amazing and so is Lightwave. I know there's a lot of work ahead of me and I really appreciate any help. Thank you.
Bill

ernpchan
04-02-2014, 01:57 PM
There's a bunch of tutorials out there. A basic Web or YouTube search will get you a bunch of hits. The LW3d group just published this. This might be a good one to try. https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/article/video-tutorial-modeling-a-dolphin/

As for your spider question, I would avoid scaling the bones. I would translate the bones instead. It sounds like you want to transition between keyframe animation to an ik rig setup.

RebelHill
04-02-2014, 02:00 PM
1. yes.

2. Youtube... there's a gazillion modelling tuts out there (and often a lot of the "principles" and general approach you see in any app translates to any other... you just gotta find the analogous tools).

3. Dont scale things that have children rotated below them... space is hierarchical. See here to get some info on such technical issues... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcKRcRpNQkE&index=5&list=PLTds3QePYrWEWipwKkLmyNT4Tf_JTigM2

ernpchan
04-02-2014, 02:09 PM
If you haven't already, you should watch all of RebelHill's videos. It'll really help you understand the foundation of how to properly rig something.

Columbo24
04-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for the speedy replies. I'm sure this will not be the last time I have questions. Look forward to the challenge. Thanks.
Bill

sukardi
04-02-2014, 06:50 PM
A good place to start,

https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/

I find the videos are pretty good quality ...