PDA

View Full Version : Surface baking troubles

Sarford
04-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to bake a displacement map from this high-res mesh. I'm baking to a low-res plane of the same size, with a UV map.
You can see the settings for the surface bake camera in the screenshot.

Problem I'm having is that LW will not render/bake the whole mesh. It looks like it is zoomed in a bit, an edge of about 5% around the whole image falls off the map. The baking settings are set to polygon normal, and the baking plane is parallel to the high-res mesh and the same size.

Anybody knows whats going wrong here?

Myagi
04-02-2014, 05:30 PM
I don't know if the resolution of the screenshot isn't enough to see the details, but aside from the right image being vertically flipped, to me it looks like everything is on it. I flipped it back in PS and compared the left and right images, and I couldn't spot any missing pixels.

(Assuming the left image is actually a view of the hi-res mesh, if not then ignore me.)

spherical
04-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Heh. Good catch. My first inclination was that the texture was negative, instead of positive (blocks pushed in, mortar raised up).

Sensei
04-02-2014, 08:40 PM
1 meter offset is crazy settings. You want it to be as small as possible. Experiment with 1mm or so.
If geometry will be really curved, ray will hit wrong geometry from long distance it's much higher chance to do so.

Why are you using Polygon Normal direction?

BTW, take a look at Batch Baking Camera.
http://batchbakingcamera.trueart.eu
It's much faster than Surface Baking Camera.

Sarford
04-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Wow, you are absolutely right Myagi! I did flip it around but only horizontally for some reason. Very good catch! Thanks man!

@ Sensei: 1 meter was to get a quick result to post here, not to get good maps. Since I only have to bake a hand full of maps, I think I'll stick to the Surface Baking Camera, thanks for the heads up though.