PDA

View Full Version : Error prevents me from using rounder

Sebasvideo
04-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I modeled again something that I had done already but I was getting weird reflections when applying a surface. However, I had this part that would have taken too long to model again, so I deleted everything else and started extending edges in Modo. I built one half of it so I could mirror it. However, for some reason, the Modo bevel rounding tool doesn't do a good job on this particular model, and I had brought it into Modeler the first time and the rounder did a perfect job.

This time, however, I keep getting this error "A selected point is not inside the surface of the selected polygons" (L138) and the only way to avoid it is to select only the outer edges of the model, which is for the most part like a tall box. But as soon as I include in the selection one edge that goes through the middle, this error appears, which tells me that something in the mirror process went wrong. The first time I tried the Modo mirror tool. Then I tried the Modeler one, but this problem appears on both.

Also, Modo has a tool called Mesh Cleanup, which cleans up a lot of things and gives you a report. So before exporting the model to lwo I ran that tool. I tried running the Modeler Mesh Repair too, but without cap holes and triangulate selected, because the model has a hole that will be taken care of by thickening and I don't want triangles.

Is there anything else I can do to fix this?

JoePoe
04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Very hard to dissect with just a description.
We can do the usual Rounder dance... suggesting Merge, Unify etc. And people will chime in with use LWCAD Mass Round. yadda yadda yadda.

OR

you can post the object (or part of the object) or images of the object showing the trouble spot.
And you will have your answer (at least for this specific instance) in about two minutes. :)

Sebasvideo
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I had to sign an NDA for this so it's not possible to show the model. However, I did the Merge in automatic, and Unify, although I'm not sure if I used them correctly because I didn't get any feedback from Unify Normals, and pressing m and OK tells me "No points eliminated". Anything else I can do?

This happens if I select one of the borders that go along the X axis, and across the middle, so I'm sure the mirror operation had some problem, or brought up a problem.

bobakabob
04-02-2014, 11:30 AM
Sounds like something is amiss with your geometry. Overlapping polys sharing points? Have you tried welding points automatically? There may be duplicates superimposed so you can't see them. Also check for so called 'junk geometry' - there may be two point polys hiding in there, that you can highlight and Delete. If you go to polygon mode and press w you'll be able to check your object's geometry in detail. Check the manual for all of this - there are also good cleanup tools in Lightwave.

JoePoe
04-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Sorry without something specific we are, naturally, left with only generalities.

You can't crop a screen grab or chop off the offending piece of the model so we don't know what we're looking at?
I could give you a piece off geometry and you would never know it's from the ear of the top secret design of Yoda's son for the next Star Wars movie. :D

bobakabob
04-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Have you tried a manual merge points setting? Very often works wonders.

Sebasvideo
04-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Sorry without something specific we are, naturally, left with only generalities.

You can't crop a screen grab or chop off the offending piece of the model so we don't know what we're looking at?
I could give you a piece off geometry and you would never know it's from the ear of the top secret design of Yoda's son for the next Star Wars movie. :D

I could grab a closeup screenshot, but it wouldn't matter in this case, because it's for the most part a very simple tall box. Just imagine this: you have the edges that go around the box, some along the X axis, some along the Z and some along the Y. I'm only talking about the outer sides of the box, as if it was a real box, forget about the polygons inside the box and that those make extra edges. I'm talking only about the contours of the box.

Well, if you select the contours that are along the Y and the Z axis, rounder works fine. But if you include, or if you only select any of the contours that are along the X axis, this error shows up.

Other than merge and unify normals, are there any other tools in Modeler that I can use? If not I'll go back to the original model, and extend the edges without deleting any of the rounded geometry.

bobakabob
04-02-2014, 11:44 AM
I could grab a closeup screenshot, but it wouldn't matter in this case, because it's for the most part a very simple tall box. Just imagine this: you have the edges that go around the box, some along the X axis, some along the Z and some along the Y. I'm only talking about the outer sides of the box, as if it was a real box, forget about the polygons inside the box and that those make extra edges. I'm talking only about the contours of the box.

Well, if you select the contours that are along the Y and the Z axis, rounder works fine. But if you include, or if you only select any of the contours that are along the X axis, this error shows up.

Other than merge and unify normals, are there any other tools in Modeler that I can use? If not I'll go back to the original model, and extend the edges without deleting any of the rounded geometry.

If it's only a simple box have you tried rounder out on a newly modelled box for comparison...?

Sebasvideo
04-02-2014, 11:47 AM
If it's only a simple box have you tried rounder out on a newly modelled box for comparison...?

No, rounder is going to work fine in a new box, it's this mirrored one that is causing the problem.

JoePoe
04-02-2014, 11:52 AM
The only thing that I can add......maybe when you did the mirror not all the points of the center line were zeroed out on the mirror axis. This would give you points that are not directly on top of each other and an auto merge wouldn't catch them. You could try a fixed range merge (at a small value)..... but be careful you don't unintentionally catch something important you don't want merged.

Or re mirror.... delete half and make sure that the center line is perfect (use Set Value "v") before you mirror.

At any rate.... check your centerline (both "sides").

Other than that........

Sebasvideo
04-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks Joe, this time I selected all the middle points, set them to 0 on X and now rounder works.