PDA

View Full Version : LW + VR = Killer App

Dillon
04-02-2014, 09:17 AM
I gotta say it: Mr. Rob Powers - I think he's a forward thinking man. And I hope (anticipate) that he's been following the Oculus Rift this past couple of years.

VR will hit us like a tsunami in a few years. Some of the previews I've seen are just astonishing. It will have the potential to impact and transform so much of how we communicate, educate, and entertain ourselves as a species.

I really really hope that Rob and company are taking a hard look at it and designing ways for Lightwave to leverage this emerging tech. New tech. ;)

LW already has hooks built in layout to use controllers to move around the environment while controlling various objects. It is not a stretch to imagine putting on a VR HMD and creating/animating within the VR environment. As a filmmaker and artist who's been waiting for this day to come, it is nearly here. I hope that LW3D Group and Powers are thinking in the same way.

Please please please please please make it so. PLEASE!

Dillon

prometheus
04-02-2014, 12:30 PM
Yes..it is coming.

I can imaging architects, putting the helmets on, go the the area a new building is about to be constructed, and simple walk around, turn around and see the building emerge live in the visor, and you can fully walk around it,
and the rest non building areas might be transparent so you can see everything else in the real world environment fully visable, gps and exact sunposition and sun locaticon at the exact time you are there will also give a realistic lighting environment, at least for a clear sky.

Michael

mummyman
04-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Wasn't he in talks with the NVIDIA guys? More real-time stuff in the works, hopefully!

Dillon
04-03-2014, 11:10 AM
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall something being said about that, too. Now wish I could find that and re-read it!

With how super powerful graphics cards are these days, I think a dream 3D animation system would rely almost entirely on the GPU for real time rendering as well as simulations. The new Titan GPU video (it's only $3000 MSRP) looks absolutely incredible. Can you imagine building an entire 3D animation system (and game engine) on top of something like that?

That's coming, too. I would prefer it to come from LW (so I don't have to learn another software).

Wasn't he in talks with the NVIDIA guys? More real-time stuff in the works, hopefully!

mummyman
04-04-2014, 10:37 AM
I found an older article: https://www.fxguide.com/featured/rob-powers-the-guy-at-the-wheel-of-the-new-newtek-lightwave/ And it just mentions an ex-Nvidia guy helping marketing... so not sure if this is what I was thinking of or not.

Dillon
04-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Between the recently released Pixar animation system video, and our current discussion, I feel like a kid anticipating a tremendous christmas - in about 5 years.

Demo guy kept mentioning Nvidia as the GPU driver of the animation system, and mentioned 10s of thousands of corse (CPU?). In any case, at the rate we're progressing, we'll have the power of Pixar in our hands in about 5 years. And by then, VR would have matured substantially.

Jesus Christ it's amazing to watch all of the science fiction I grew up with become science.

D

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140944-Watch-A-Rare-Demo-of-Pixar%92s-Animation-System-Presto

I found an older article: https://www.fxguide.com/featured/rob-powers-the-guy-at-the-wheel-of-the-new-newtek-lightwave/ And it just mentions an ex-Nvidia guy helping marketing... so not sure if this is what I was thinking of or not.

Waves of light
04-04-2014, 03:43 PM
So many possibilities for this type of tech... you could have emergency services training on disaster sites and buildings, walking through sets that have been constructed in Lightwave. Student Doctors doing transplants on cg patients.

Not long before we have our own Holodeck?

Dillon
04-05-2014, 03:01 PM
By some weird stroke of luck, I now have an occulus rift development kit at home. I've sampled over a dozen demo's and some of them are just INCREDIBLE!!

One of them is a floating above the earth scene. It's so simple and majestic. Another is an awesome time warped fps game which is just awesome.

I can't believe this is just a development kit; low res, no motion tracking for head placement. And the frame refresh has some issues. But it is absolutely incredible where this is going to take us.

LW3DGroup? You got one of these? You got Unreal? Are you plugging LW into VR? are you? ARE YOU!??!

So many possibilities for this type of tech... you could have emergency services training on disaster sites and buildings, walking through sets that have been constructed in Lightwave. Student Doctors doing transplants on cg patients.

Not long before we have our own Holodeck?

Waves of light
04-06-2014, 01:36 AM
By some weird stroke of luck, I now have an occulus rift development kit at home. I've sampled over a dozen demo's and some of them are just INCREDIBLE!!

One of them is a floating above the earth scene. It's so simple and majestic. Another is an awesome time warped fps game which is just awesome.

I can't believe this is just a development kit; low res, no motion tracking for head placement. And the frame refresh has some issues. But it is absolutely incredible where this is going to take us.

LW3DGroup? You got one of these? You got Unreal? Are you plugging LW into VR? are you? ARE YOU!??!

From what I've seen it does look amazing, even in it's current development. The demo I saw was a guy walking around naked, semi-naked humans.

geo_n
04-06-2014, 08:45 PM
http://s29.postimg.org/my51xgjjb/d806619790dfee7cf453d48ac0bc5645.jpg

http://www.dorkly.com/comic/60844/the-ages-of-multiplayer

next the vr/occulus age. :D

Dillon
04-06-2014, 11:29 PM
VR isn't just for gaming. I can (and will be) used as a means for communication, for education, and for entertainment. It's also starting to find uses for psychotherapy in the treatment of PTSD, anxiety disorders, and phantom pain disorder.

VR has a lot of utility in terms of function. We're witnessing the birth of it now.

http://s29.postimg.org/my51xgjjb/d806619790dfee7cf453d48ac0bc5645.jpg

http://www.dorkly.com/comic/60844/the-ages-of-multiplayer

next the vr/occulus age. :D

geo_n
04-07-2014, 12:15 AM
Yes ofcourse the comic just shows how the gaming trends are evolving.
I'm pretty glad facebook bought occulus to get it into mainstream rather than specialized for hardcore gamers.

Dillon
04-07-2014, 12:24 AM
It's best utility isn't for gaming, ironically. Although gamers have pushed it into mainstream consciousness, VR's best utility will be in education and communication. I'm pretty ecstatic about the possibilities that lie far beyond the scope of gaming.

I've become increasingly glad that Facebook bought them. People can start to imagine VR in a different way than as a peripheral to gaming.

Yes ofcourse the comic just shows how the gaming trends are evolving.
I'm pretty glad facebook bought occulus to get it into mainstream rather than specialized for hardcore gamers.