PDA

View Full Version : How much RAM for this...

Brazzi
04-02-2014, 02:54 AM
Hello,

I have been asked to produce a visual that will be printed at...wait for it...6m x 2m! (150dpi). I have several issues, the first that Lightwave will only render to 16000x16000 pixels which will be too low. However there is a plugin that allows several cameras to render several segments that can be stitched together (Ubercam) without distortion one assumes. The next and possibly the most significant for me is that I am running out of RAM and I cant get a render out at much above 5000x5000 on my machine. I get a failed to create image error. My questions is; can anybody give me an idea how much ram this is going to take (presuming that the issue is indeed ram) or if its even possible?. Or failing that is there a setting within Lightwave that allows one to allot more of the system resources to that render?

Plan b would be to render as high as possible and try to upscale it in photoshop...

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Brazzi.

bazsa73
04-02-2014, 03:33 AM
Yes, you are running out of RAM so buy more. I bumped into the same problem once with similar size banner. I used a shift camera setup, it's inside LW. No plugin needed.
And you can set the segment memory limit on the Render Globals panel/ General tab.

04-02-2014, 05:20 AM
Try to render it in lwsn, without the overhead, etc. of the gui.
Then,... buy more ram.

JonW
04-02-2014, 05:27 AM
Segment memory Limit 2662 MB for 4158 x 16000 pixels for 1/1 segments.

Shift camera: Do 4 frame animation, Horizontal shift -1.425 -0.475, 0.475 & 1.425. This should be about right with a bit of overlap for radiosity gremlins. I haven't worked it out to the pixel.

Do F10, not F9, save a 4 frame animation. Also once your scene is ready, change viewports to Bounding Box or better still "(none)", save scene, relaunch Layout to free up all RAM hogged by Layout's viewports. & close every other app obviously, including Modeler.

Use Screamernet & you do not have to load the scene.

JonW
04-02-2014, 05:43 AM
The above 4158 & shift amounts work out to 16008 pixels wide! (208 pixels overlap between frames & 8 pixels at the side)

If you haven't set up Screamernet, it is now NOT the time to try. It is something you need to get going between jobs. Once you have it going it is worth the effort. Getting it going on your main computer only, is easier. It is not just a tool for network rendering.

bazsa73
04-02-2014, 06:23 AM
I would try the PS upscale ploy as well. Lightwave render is so clean and precise no one will notice a slight blur due to resizing.

Sensei
04-02-2014, 06:41 AM
16000x16000 framebuffer is taking at least 4 GB *continuous* memory (if not using any multi-passes etc.)

Such render took me whole week to render on 3 machines (core i7, athlon x2 6000 and core 2 duo)..
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/VirtualRender/Graphics/Janusz_Scene_1_16000_9333.jpg
Rendered by VirtualRender.

(save file to disk, browser viewer might not work)

JonW
04-02-2014, 06:42 AM
What is the actual end use of the image. Without being precise so to speak.

If you getting a bureau to print it, speak to them.

Also the way you sharpen an image can make it look a lot sharper than it is with a hugh pixel radius & very low % & can make up for the shortfall in pixels. The pixels may not have been needed anyway with the right kind of sharpening. Also sharpen the L channel in LAB & not RGB.

BeeVee
04-02-2014, 10:25 AM
LightWave can now render out at immense sizes (I just put 100000 x 100000 in and it was accepted), but of course you need the memory for it. Using a render controller like Amleto that will stitch together image parts automatically will also be a simpler solution to set up than LWSN. Lastly, are you sure that it needs to be at 150 DPI? Back in the day, I had to render out an image for a motorway billboard, which measured 18x4m, but the DPI was 17 since the image would only be seen at a distance (and at speed since it was on a motorway).

B

ernpchan
04-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Having something like Perfect Resize is also an option. This way you don't have to render so large.
http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/resize8/

Brazzi
04-02-2014, 12:05 PM
thanks to everyone for all the very helpful replies. I will re-read each one, having just had a quick glance. The image is a re-render of a visual I produced for a client who now wants a huge one to put on a wall to impress their clients. Previously the whole thing was created for web primarily, but I created it at A4 300 dpi resolution just in case. What I hadn't predicted was that they would want a version of this scale . As a graphic designer I have worked on many large format projects but always with either vector or photographs (photographs can be a pain to resize). Renders at this size are unheard of for me. I will investigate some of your solutions and let you know how I get on. My catch 22 is that my fastest i7 at the moment is actually on a laptop Chronos and my main desktop which I could upgrade easily is running a gen2 i7 and is about 5 times slower than the Samsung!

Might get away with 100dpi, a lot of large format inkjets wont print a lot more than that, but its a showroom sort of display so will need to be reasonably sharp.

Thanks for all the solutions mentioned, will try the shift camera and the other software ideas, thanks all.

Screamer net, no, used to have it set up, isn't running at the moment.

The render is an interior office scene.

thanks

Brazzi.

JonW
04-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Northlight Images has an article, Making a giant print from an 11MP image

Brazzi
04-03-2014, 01:32 AM
Northlight Images has an article, Making a giant print from an 11MP image

Will take a look, thanks.

Out of interest, those of you that have created large render like this- what roughly, did you charge?