PDA

View Full Version : DigitalTutors is looking for LW artists

Jamesxx
04-01-2014, 11:55 PM
http://support.digitaltutors.com/entries/21992184

heu guys, saw this on digital tutors this morning. Due to the requests of lightwave users, Digital Tutors is now looking for artists who are able to teach the software. Personally I think that this is a big chance for lightwave, cause a software sells better if there is a lot of training available. So my question is now if there are some talented artists like rebelhill or lino grandi for example, who would be interested in doing tutorials for DT? it's of course a paid job ;)

geo_n
04-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Ryan Roye should apply. Makes the best video quality videos and funny script that doesnt make you fall asleep.

Megalodon2.0
04-02-2014, 12:36 AM
This is VERY good news.

Jamesxx
04-02-2014, 01:17 AM
This is VERY good news.

yeah it is, but only as long as there are some talented artists who'd be ready to do tutorials for DT :P I just hope lightwave makes its way to Digital Tutors :)

prometheus
04-02-2014, 12:35 PM
Some extra job for William Vaughan maybe...the best presenter of Lightwave workflow and tools.
Though I fear he will be busy at a school teaching modo.

Michael

tyrot
04-02-2014, 01:10 PM
ryan is at the another level... He is awesome -

Ryan Roye
04-02-2014, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the kind words. Honestly though, I'm quite happy with Liberty3d.com and have no current plans to sell my content or educational services through another vendor. Most of what I have to offer lies with animation, so it only makes sense to work to eliminate the major deficit of proper training in that area for Lightwave.

Common scenarios for character animators will be ready for publication in a few weeks, in which case I'll tackle practical bullet dynamics workflows that'll provide ways to get good results out of it without leaving cobwebs on the user.

Lewis
04-02-2014, 03:06 PM
Interesting news, i just don't see where do they (DT) say they need LW artists on that link/page ? Maybe i mised somethign in the text (or link is wrong/changed?) but all i see is people asking for LW tutorials while DT guy sayign ".... logistics (time, resources, etc.) just don't fall into place right now" ???

ernpchan
04-02-2014, 09:17 PM
What is the financial compensation like?

shrox
04-02-2014, 10:08 PM
I can't teach worth crap!

Jamesxx
04-02-2014, 10:39 PM
Interesting news, i just don't see where do they (DT) say they need LW artists on that link/page ? Maybe i mised somethign in the text (or link is wrong/changed?) but all i see is people asking for LW tutorials while DT guy sayign ".... logistics (time, resources, etc.) just don't fall into place right now" ???

lewis you have to look in the comments :) The guy who started the thread wrote about it in the comments ;)

Jamesxx
04-02-2014, 10:44 PM
What is the financial compensation like?

I don't know. But if you're interested in doing tutorials, maybe you should ask them ;) By the way great stuff on your portfolio :D

ernpchan
04-02-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't know. But if you're interested in doing tutorials, maybe you should ask them ;) By the way great stuff on your portfolio :D

Yeah but it's easier to get answers on a forum where other people do the work for you. :D I should look into it though if nothing but to satisfy my own curiosity.

Thanks. I'm surprised my site even works. It's such a poor example of web coding by today's standards.

[edit]
Ok i really need to update it. My resume really needs to be updated, haha.

geo_n
04-03-2014, 12:25 AM
if you do know of any LightWave artists who might be interested in creating tutorials for us feel free to pass them our way!

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/tutors.php#JoinDT

I've learned a lot of rigging and animation from DT when I started to learn 3dmax years back. Accelerated the learning process 10 times.
Lightwave training on DT would bring some word of mouth that lightwave is doing some progress in develoopment.

hrgiger
04-03-2014, 04:59 AM
Rebel Hill should do something for them.

BigHache
04-03-2014, 05:45 AM

^^ Yeah that's the one.

wesleycorgi
04-03-2014, 10:36 AM
I know that he's his own cottage industry, but I would advocate Dan Ablan. (Also Rebel Hill and all of the L3D guys).

elcid
04-04-2014, 01:58 PM
I think this would be a great opportunity for the Lightwave community - there are a lot of requests for in depth training on DT and find this type of training for Lightwave is getting more difficult to find - especially the new features in 11.6 etc.

Digital Tutors is asking for a guest artist tutor, as they have quite a few for some of the other software packages, I know it appears they are not to interested but I do see a crack in the wall, as they posted a link for the artist and asked for any Lightwave artist who might be interested. - here's the post:

Hey guys! First, thank you so much for the requests and all of the kind words! LightWave does look like it's a great piece of software but there's a ton of factors beyond just having a great piece of software out there that goes into creating tutorials for a new piece of software. If we could create training for every single piece of great software out there we would. But sadly, logistics just don't allow for that.

I'll pass this along for review, but in the mean time if you do know of any LightWave artists who might be interested in creating tutorials for us feel free to pass them our way!

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/tutors.php#JoinDT

April 01, 2014 14:46

Jamesxx
04-06-2014, 12:47 PM
already many thanks to dan ablan for offering his help :D

inakito
04-07-2014, 02:28 AM
great news!

octopus2000
06-09-2015, 03:05 PM
so what's been happening with the digital tutors lightwave lessons? are there any more lightwave lessons coming to DT other than the helicopter tutorial that's there right now?

Ryan Roye
06-09-2015, 03:44 PM
I can't speak for everyone but I highly doubt Digital Tutors is willing to allocate the resources or adjustments to their business model to compensate Lightwave contributors in any meaningful fashion in the same way other sites do. I would consider carefully all of the other prominent options out there before considering submitting content to them, including the possibility of just producing and selling the tutorial content individually.

Surrealist.
06-09-2015, 07:47 PM
Their agreement seems fine, compensation I would consider adequate. They have their own format and requirements. But I think it has more to do with finding artists qualified to do tutorials who also have the time. I was all set to do one, but in reality I just was too busy at the time. So I respectfully bowed out.

I think, unless something has changed recently, they would like to do more. And it has more to do with our side of it than theirs.

It is just not a very big market, which means less available artists to make tutorials.

I have a few good ideas for tuts, I just don't have the time. Unfortunately.

So I'd say if you have the chops and time, go for it. Lots of talk around here about supporting LW. Well, this would be one way. DT has a very large market, and it would be a good thing for LW.

DCjr
06-10-2015, 02:28 AM

Plus He has a great accent! Would make it interesting too!

Every4thPixel
06-10-2015, 03:52 AM
I think Bryan Phillips his tuts are awesome!

octopus2000
06-10-2015, 05:27 AM
where are the lightwave gurus? why aren't they adding their tutorials to digital tutors?

Surrealist.
06-10-2015, 06:43 AM
I answered that as best as I could. Another element to this is that they do track how many people watch these tutorials. So it could be they have proceeded with some caution if the first one did not get a lot of attention. At the time I was applying for this last year I was told that several other artists were being considered. It is just a matter of, not a large market, not a large pool of gurus to pull from. A number of things have to line up for it to happen for an artist. So some people probably get eliminated one way or another.

By the way I do not consider myself "one of the LightWave gurus". Not by a long shot. But I was able to show a track record of making as well as getting paid for tutorials and I was able to show enough prowess in the software to sell them on me as someone who could pull off a tutorial.

So, basically. It is like this. You don't have to be a guru. But you do have to be able to show that you can present ideas professionally, be willing to work with them, to give them what they want. And within the guidelines be creative and bring something to the table.

There are probably a lot more people who actually qualify to do this, than have applied. It does not have to be a Splinegod -type, William Vaughn or even RH. These guys are obviously stellar examples. And even if Larry was still around there is a good chance that he may not have seen eye to eye with what they needed and wanted.

So anyway, I think more of the people here who can show some qualifications could step up to bat and give it a try.

Outside of that. Really it is what it is. LightWave is where it is at. It is a great thing that DT has been willing to give it notice-finally. I feel from dealing with them that they have done their part.

The rest of it is up to the LW community.

Ryan Roye
06-10-2015, 07:14 AM
So, basically. It is like this. You don't have to be a guru. But you do have to be able to show that you can present ideas professionally, be willing to work with them, to give them what they want.

Completely agree. Being a good teacher has nothing to do with being the best in your field because that is not the point. The point is that a teacher's job is to convey information as efficiently as possible to many individuals so that they have the tools necessary to develop their skills further. They understand how the average mind processes information and try to adapt their content accordingly.

Teaching is also the single best opportunity to get paid to develop new skills... which unsurprisingly helps you become among best in the industry. In nearly all cases, 3d artists must essentially work for free in order to develop new skills and studios rarely pay their employees to learn new things. By teaching, your research and development efforts are paid for in part or in full in addition to bolstering the 3d community by sharing what could otherwise be information that no one has access to. It also presents an opportunity to provide leverage when work is low... if a client can't exceed what I get from Liberty3d.com (ranges from $2,000-$10,000 per product), I can tell them without hesitation to take a hike and at the same time make my services more valuable for future clients.

That said, if anyone is interested in becoming an instructor at Liberty3d.com and wants to retain full ownership/control over their content feel free to contact me at [email protected] and I will do everything I can to help you out.

Surrealist.
06-10-2015, 11:29 AM
That is great Ryan. Thanks for the words of encouragement and offer. They sound like a great company too.

And I also agree about teaching. In fact there is an age-old adage about learning. And it goes that the best way to learn is to teach. Or something like that.

Also I think a lot of people might assume they are restricted to teaching those things which they already know and can demonstrate ability in. But I have not found that to be necessarily true. You may need only to show you have competence and ability in the software.

From there it is a matter of agreeing on a subject and content of a tutorial with the editor. And depending on the editor, it will depend on a lot of things they are balancing. So the likelihood of them being interested only in the things you have already researched is possibly low.

Furthermore, being asked to teach something forces you to research it fully. You have to go beyond the level you might get into when you are in a production crunch to learn something quickly and get out a product for a client. When I have the time the approach I use is adequate to also teach it. However as Ryan points out when you do a tutorial you are getting paid partially or fully for that R&D that you otherwise have to do for no pay on your own.

It is a win win. :)