PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Follows a curved path

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Hi All, I have a job where I have to make a spiral with a given spacing spiral around a circular path. Think armored conduit cable. I can easily do this with the lathe tool along a straight line, but can't figure out a way to do this along a circular path, Any idea's on how this can be done without spending a fortune on a plugin? I am on a Mac.

JoePoe
03-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Hey Tony......been a long time :).

If the image below is close to what you mean use PXBezier (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/px_bezier/).
Extrude a single poly with offset and twist. Make sure Auto Heading is on so the tube doesn't get squished as it spirals.

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 11:46 AM
Hey Tony......been a long time :).

If the image below is close to what you mean use PXBezier (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/px_bezier/).
Extrude a single poly with offset and twist. Make sure Auto Heading is on so the tube doesn't get squished as it spirals.

Hi Joe! Thanks I will tti that latter today. Please follow this thread because if I have issues I'll probably need your help. Thanks again.

JoePoe
03-31-2014, 12:42 PM
...Please follow this thread ...

Okay.
BTW, just saw the "armored conduit cable" part. Different look, but I'd still use PX (still thinking though ;)). No offset, but a lot more segments and more twist. Then just do a normal move on one of the spiral edges.

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 02:20 PM
I downloaded the plugin, but I have no idea how it works. I will need to make a very specific shape to use, but then what?

Nangleator
03-31-2014, 02:23 PM
Stock LW: If you don't need to animate, then you could model it straight, use a proxy model of a chain of 2-point polys and then use FXLinker to get the more complex object to conform to that shape.

spherical
03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Check this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139279-How-can-I-model-a-corrugated-hose&highlight=corrugated+tube

AND, I found this using the vBulletin search!

JoePoe
03-31-2014, 04:16 PM
A Bulletin search that came back with an appropriate result. Excuse me while look for my jaw. :D

I thought about Extrude+ as an option, it's a very easy and effective tool. :thumbsup:
But it isn't a true spiral. And if I know Tony like I think I know Tony... ;) (actually maybe it's Tony's clients)
Anyway, personally I would try and make it work (viewing angle, maybe just skew the end.... whatever).

What is the very specific shape? Can you post it (or at least an image of it)??

Edit:
@ Nangleator: FX Linker? Thought that only swaps out geometry for particles. Do you mean FX_Metalink? Or am I missing something??

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 05:31 PM
Just tried Extrude Plus, and it runs sooooo slooooow on my 3.06 gig 12 core Mac Pro thats it's practically unusable!

JoePoe
03-31-2014, 05:41 PM
HeHe.... you mean your 3.06 ghz 1 core. :) Modeler only uses one.

You must have a LOT of polys in play. Extrude+ can ramp that number up quickly. Did you start with an 8 sided disc?? anything more and you're asking for trouble.

The nature of this beast, however, will require significant geometry. So let's be ..... prudent on how they are spent.

Let's see that shape you need.

.... and maybe that FX_link thing will work.

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 05:45 PM
Give me a second, my super fast computer is still thinking about this test I'm doing. I think I could live with this plugin if it worked faster.

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Ok I have to make this conduit take the place of these cable around the spool. This was the last job I did for them. Now they want it all armored with the shrink wrapped labels like I have on the straight conduit.

Tony3d
03-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Here's the poly object I made the spiral with on the old conduit.

Nangleator
03-31-2014, 06:34 PM
@ Nangleator: FX Linker? Thought that only swaps out geometry for particles. Do you mean FX_Metalink? Or am I missing something??
Oh, yeah. It's been a while since I used it.

JoePoe
03-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Are you going to get any closer to the spool than that? If not, all you probably need is a normal map (and an image map if that first image is a planar projection). Not sure how that poly object came into play :stumped:.

edit: Ohhhh, you lathed that object. Got it.

JoePoe
03-31-2014, 10:24 PM
I think we might need to take a deeper look at Extrude+. I think you have way too much geometry going on OR are trying to do the whole thing in one shot.

On a related note, I took a quick stab at a loop wth Extrude+. 1.1K polys.... and with a simple rotate I was able to mimic a spiral. An array of these and you've got your spool :thumbsup:.
Time for sleep.... will be back in the saddle tomorrow.

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=121119&d=1396326036

Tony3d
04-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Did this by real cloning rings. Doesn't look to bad, and they seem happy with it, but now they want 8 different labels around each hoop! I just did this one with a simple Cylindrical map.

JoePoe
04-01-2014, 05:14 PM
So, if the end result is to have the cables make (basically) circles around the spool, why couldn't you merely bend a long section of your modeled cable 360 deg?
Especially if the backside won't be seen, you wouldn't even have to spend time trying to get the ends to join up nice.

That being said....Rail clone...... okay. So.... nothing is connected then. It's basically overlapping separate tube sections. Hey if there are no render errors.... fine. Looks good.
Extrude+ would have given you the same thing except all in one piece which would make UVing easier I would think. (I believe ExT+ even makes one big UV for you.)
Speaking of Uving. As for the labels. Just UV the sections you need. They can all be on one map. I'd give a little extra geometry rather than a tight fit just so you can have the luxury of sliding the texture a bit in location on the ring. I'm not exactly sure how the UV will react to the separate and overlapping rail sections. Why not? Could be fine. Never done it that way.

Tony3d
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
It's actually going very well. I UV mapped the labels. I will post something within the next week. Thanks for all your input. That extrude plus is really nice, but painstakingly slow.