PDA

View Full Version : What if Newtek picked up Softimage after Autodesk discontinues it?

stevegraymusic
03-30-2014, 08:44 PM
I have long thought that Lightwave needed all kinds of help in the character animation department. What if Newtek picked up Autodesk Softimage when Autodesk discontinues after 2015 and incorporated their animation tools into Lightwave? They would pick up all the Softimage users and improve Lightwave immensely. I tried it and was animating simple characters effectively the same day! Incredibly intuitive workflow in there! I'm not sure how all that big business works or if it's even technically possible or cost efficient to merge or integrate the animation tools from one program to another but if Lightwave had animation tools like Softimage it would be a near perfect program.

robertoortiz
03-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Autodesk will NEVER ever release Soft.
the best bet is to see if any EX Autodesk developers don't have a non compete agreement and see if they would be willing to join NT. Hell i would seek the EX head of marketing at Sofimage.

spherical
03-30-2014, 10:31 PM
Agreed. A major reason for Borging Softimage was to gain control. That is what AD is all about. They're not going to Do The Right Thing. That's not any part of their operating premise, let alone their business policy/model.

hrgiger
03-31-2014, 02:46 AM
Even if LW3DG could acquire Softimage (which would never happen), architectures between both software is so radically different it would make no sense to try and merge them. In that situation which would never happen, it would make more sense to offer both programs as options.

Snosrap
03-31-2014, 06:36 AM
They have already stated that their is IP in Softimage that they are going to fold over into Maya - meaning they won't sell or give away any part of Softimage.

JohnMarchant
03-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Never going to happen, the best we could get is some Devs and 3rd party plugin developers, not sure how much use it would be for LW in the short/medium term.

jburford
03-31-2014, 05:44 PM
Actually think there is more chance to find Flight MH 370 with a Lightwave Logo on it than . . . . .

Draven
04-01-2014, 06:02 AM
They have already stated that their is IP in Softimage that they are going to fold over into Maya - meaning they won't sell or give away any part of Softimage.

Actually, their statement was that 'too much of their IP was in Softimage' for them to be able to separate it and sell it to another vendor. I remember specifically because I was the one in the press conference that asked that question.

erikals
04-01-2014, 06:12 AM
Actually, their statement was that 'too much of their IP was in Softimage' for them to be able to separate it and sell it to another vendor. I remember specifically because I was the one in the press conference that asked that question.

makes sense, unfortunately.... http://erikalstad.com/backup/Notsatisfied.gif

pauland
04-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Actually think there is more chance to find Flight MH 370 with a Lightwave Logo on it than . . . . .

I feel really guilty because I smiled at that.

I hope they find the plane ASAP so the families can have some resolution.

robertoortiz
04-01-2014, 09:55 AM
Never going to happen, the best we could get is some Devs and 3rd party plugin developers, not sure how much use it would be for LW in the short/medium term.

This is what I hope to God the LW3DG is doign. FOR SURE the guys at Foundry/Luxology are doign this. There are too many talented pissed off developers that are not too happy with Autodesk.

ianr
04-01-2014, 10:33 AM
In a seperate Thread bucking about on the back of this wild beast
that Newtek call this website is the Question....
What has changed with Support & Exposure of 3d Devs hard work
on this Website. Any S.I. dev whose does a trawl,will see the indifference.

You know that Soo 90's...U hear LW3DG!
Ahh! I miss good old Flay!!!

Red_Oddity
04-01-2014, 03:20 PM
Then all they have to do is strip Softimage of the ViewCube and FBX export and it pretty much will be the Softimage again that they bought, right? Too much of their IP, not sure i should laugh or cry about that statement.

ianr
04-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Red it's a lovely idea, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Autodesk is a vampyre squid...they buy to Throttle

the life out of stuff as they take over the ocean of CG.

S.I.devs will look to Houdini I fear, but I do hope that

some revisit Lightwave to re-evaluate the post Core

rap/stink that others (non forum) may only remember!

Marketing HAS to be sharper & quicker to take advantage

of this better, good work Mr.Powers team are putting in!

Red_Oddity
04-02-2014, 09:23 AM
Oh i'm quite aware it isn't happening, my post was more of a sarcastic comment than anything else.
Everyone in the industry pretty much feared (and with good cause) that SI was bought just to stifle competition and expand Autodesk's patent portfolio at the same time.

Surrealist.
04-02-2014, 09:42 AM
Then all they have to do is strip Softimage of the ViewCube and FBX export and it pretty much will be the Softimage again that they bought, right?

Here is the development hystroy:

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/index.php?title=Category:Feature_History

Since AD acquired Softimage they included Face Robot (developed in 2006 before acquisition) ICE Rigging, ICE Modeling, Syflex on Ice, as well as a number of the other enhancements in ICE and most recently Crowd Effects which also works within ICE and quite powerful for that reason.

I have not really tallied it all up but my feeling is that is where most of the development went. Why has been discussed in other places to no end.