PDA

View Full Version : OMG!! $8,345 bill, for this?

random_human_02
11-20-2003, 11:37 AM
eh, I have a question.

Upon thinking (or fantasizing, rather) about the future, I came across a thought. Billing a customer.

Let's say, one day in the future I become somewhat good at modeling and animation, and I end up doing a project for someone. How do you bill render time. Or is it billed at all? You certainly cannot bill someone $xx.xx an hour for rendering, especially if the render time is astronomical.

This, to me is a gray area, it is the speed of the computer, and not the skill of the artist, comes into play.

What do the big guys do?

hunter
11-20-2003, 01:09 PM
We bill em' by the hour and mostly they understand it. When your rendering your computers can't be used for other things. Things that could make you some money, so you have to bill em'.

Matt
11-20-2003, 01:39 PM
We charge an hourly rate for 'content creation' (basically any time where I'm sat in front of LightWave doing something useful!) rendering is usually done overnight (and therefore not charged, or charged very, very little - electricity / wear / tear of equipment).

If it needed to be running during the day we'd utilise a render farm and then bill them that.

You can't charge YOUR hourly rate when a computer is just rendering, it should at least be a reduced rate, you're the professional with pro' rates not your computer!

You could charge a setup cost for setting the rendering going.

You have to be honest, you can't take the pi$$, they won't come back otherwise!

:)

meshmaster
11-20-2003, 02:04 PM
bill by the frame... 30 seconds cost x amount.. one minute costs double that... etc. As far as having your computer used up... have a second machine - don't net render... just set it up so that machine 1 is rendering when you work on machine 2 and vice versa... it's probably not as fast as net render, but it will get you the same sort of result and you can keep working while the job is going.

Matt
11-20-2003, 02:08 PM
bill by CPU cycles, do one job and never have to work again! ;)

hunter
11-20-2003, 02:22 PM
Well of course it is a reduced rate but by network rendering the job gets done faster and we work for attorney's mostly and they don't mind payin' for it.

riki
11-20-2003, 04:10 PM
Maybe check the rates that places like respower charge, then use that as a guide.