PDA

View Full Version : Problem with DOF

50one
03-27-2014, 12:03 PM
Ok, so I just followed a Cody Burke Tutorial with the neuron network for fun and noticed something weird about the DOF effect and reflection, bascially towards the end of the video, some of the planes are blury(out of focus) but some of them are reflecting the environment without the DOF, bottom of the screen towards the end, anyone else noticed this? Lw 11.6.2

http://vimeo.com/90236540

Mr. Wilde
03-27-2014, 02:01 PM
That's a realistic effect for depth of field and reflections. If you stand in front of the mirror at a distance of 1 meter, you see yourself at a distance of 2 meters. So if you want to take a photo of yourself, you need to set the focal distance to 2 meters to be in focus. If you focus on the mirror surface itself at 1 meter distance, you will be blurry.

So in that video, even though the mirrors themselves are out of focus, whatever they reflect is in the correct focal distance to the camera.

50one
03-27-2014, 02:16 PM
That's a realistic effect for depth of field and reflections. If you stand in front of the mirror at a distance of 1 meter, you see yourself at a distance of 2 meters. So if you want to take a photo of yourself, you need to set the focal distance to 2 meters to be in focus. If you focus on the mirror surface itself at 1 meter distance, you will be blurry.

So in that video, even though the mirrors themselves are out of focus, whatever they reflect is in the correct focal distance to the camera.

I thought so(being a photgrapher myself) but there's just something that feels weird about this, especially since most of the planes are out of focus and then you got few with clear reflections.

Cheers,
S