PDA

View Full Version : Renderingtimes compared

sanderdes
11-20-2003, 10:07 AM
Hello everyone,

I wondered how the rendering times of the Lightwave renderer is compared to other 3d Programs suchs as Maya and 3DS Max. Cause I find the Lightwave renderer really slow with radiosity (even with low settings) but is that also the case with the other 3d programs I just mentioned ?
I look forward to Lightwave 8... hope they'll improve the rendering speeds :D that'll make working with Lightwave even more comfortable

Mylenium
11-20-2003, 11:57 AM
Ah, that again. Well, personally I think it's somewhat pointless to compare renderers. It just doesn't make sense. This is valid for both feature sets as well as benchmarking issues. From my personal experience, you can make any renderer slow and sluggish - whether you use some complicated geometry (intersecting steep angles), heavy geometry (millions of polys), bad shaders/ textures (e.g. in Maya you can easily build a bad shader by connecting nodes in the wrong order) or just use some exotic effect. So, there you are. It's no secret LW's renderer has some severe bugs, but you can mostly live with them and they surely will have fixed most in v8. I suppose if you dig hard enough, you will find other renderers as annoying or pleasing as you can LW's.

Mylenium