PDA

View Full Version : Retargeting

vncnt
03-27-2014, 12:01 PM
It seems that my Legato project is almost ready for serious testing, although Im still working on the dynamic renderfarm feature within the same Lscript.

Since Ive already added methods to copy a library motion to any compatible hierarchy, I wondered how easy it would be to also develop a retargeting method for Legato.

- Would it be okay if you were asked by the script to manually select and confirm the target object for each animated item and be able to export/import such a definition list?
- Would you like to have the option (use/ignore and relative/absolute), for each channel in each item?
- Use the current frame to calculate the offset between channels?
- Or is there any more to it?

I like to know what procedure is acceptable before I start building a solution.

Legato development thread:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136828-How-to-change-a-rig-in-45-scene-files&p=1374392#post1374392

Ryan Roye
03-27-2014, 01:22 PM
- Would it be okay if you were asked by the script to manually select and confirm the target object for each animated item and be able to export/import such a definition list?

Yes. But DO NOT use the LW dropdown list function to do this. Instead, go off of what the user has selected to prevent needless clicking and scrolling... or whatever achieves this with as little user interaction required as possible.

- Would you like to have the option (use/ignore and relative/absolute), for each channel in each item?

That much control would be overkill and an unneccecary timesink in my opinion; few people have the time to go through their entire rig's heiarchy and tick things on/off per channel. The only things needed for retargeting in nearly all cases are rotations of all the bones, and the 1 item that determines position. Either use IK/FK switching to adapt IK rigs to mocap, or stick the goals onto the mocap rig.

- Use the current frame to calculate the offset between channels?

Sounds good to me.

vncnt
04-01-2014, 12:35 PM
Yes. But DO NOT use the LW dropdown list function to do this. Instead, go off of what the user has selected to prevent needless clicking and scrolling... or whatever achieves this with as little user interaction required as possible.

This image is based on test data: 121121

For now, its a two-step procedure:
1) select a yellow source item in Legato - its yellow when the target item is set to "(none)"
2) select the target item in Layout