PDA

View Full Version : Since LW 11.5.x it crashes and freezes whenever it can

Jojographics
03-27-2014, 02:29 AM
Dear Team at Newtek,

I am Ligthwave user for several years and never was in an urge to look for other applications. Okay, Lighwave had ever little problems with stability and crashes to desktop not rarely. The reasons are often not reproducable. Once it works and at the other time it crashes at the same action. I came to terms with it. But since the last few builds since 11.5.x there is a new behaviour and it did not only a crash to desktop but it will freeze completely whenever it can without any warning during several different but not unusual and essential actions, mainly starting up, loading, saving, sync between Modeller and Layout and every other normal or standard situation you want. This happens especially when Modeller is running parallel and if the programs running in background if I had to do something else. In this case both applications will freeze. But each alone is able to do the same.:hey:

I hoped this come to an end with the new 11.6.2 but this obviously was wishful thinking. Sometimes I go back to the last build of 9.6 that is already installed (I you will ask: No, I close the HUB manually before I use this different versions) to do my work if I am not in an urge to use the new functions, which b.t.w. I like very much so far, if they will work smoothly in some rare cases.
After observing this behaviour a certain time I think the HUB (as ever) was the reason for all this. Running Layout and Modeller without HUB brings a little improvement and I am sometimes able to work more than a half hour without freezing during a normal work session.
I use it on a standard WIN7 64bit professional, enough RAM, enough drivespace and every new build seperately freshly installed after uninstalling the forerunner. Nothing wild or unusual. I didnīt use 3rd party plugins so it will be no great work to setup a new installation for my needs. I also tried it on another different machine on WIN 7 64bit home but with the same result so I could exclude any system errors. I also wonder that I found no thread in this forum from people with similar experiences and I am not far away to go nuts about this.
Now there I reach the point thinking about if it would not be better to go back to a previous Lightwave version that runs more stable or looking for other alternatives if this will not be fixed sometimes.
You will be with me that this is far away from seriuosly working with a professional application.

Any idea whatīs the reason for this? Thank you for every hint.

Best regards Jochen @ Jojographics

spherical
03-27-2014, 02:47 AM
Well, this has not been my experience at all. I would wager that the same would be said for the majority, here, that is why there are no similar experiences found. Closing the Hub between versions is definitely a good move. Are you:

Running the LightWave installer file itself as Administrator? I don't mean being logged in as Administrator, I mean choosing Run As Administrator in the right-click cursor menu.
Istalling with Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled?
Installing in /Program Files directory?
Starting with fresh configs?
Which Anti-Virus are you running? AVG, perhaps? If so, ditch it. Has caused a lot of problems for many users.

Jojographics
03-27-2014, 04:44 AM
Well, this has not been my experience at all. I would wager that the same would be said for the majority, here, that is why there are no similar experiences found. Closing the Hub between versions is definitely a good move. Are you:

Running the LightWave installer file itself as Administrator? I don't mean being logged in as Administrator, I mean choosing Run As Administrator in the right-click cursor menu.
Istalling with Anti-Virus and Firewall disabled?
Installing in /Program Files directory?
Starting with fresh configs?
Which Anti-Virus are you running? AVG, perhaps? If so, ditch it. Has caused a lot of problems for many users.

Hey,

thank you for the fast reply.:thumbsup:

I am able to answer every question with "yes"

After you wrote about the issues with AVG I didnīt ditch it not yet because I wanted to try this first. I had a very last idea, took a look at the windows firewall and thought it was a good idea to clean up all and especially the old exceptions that are still alive there for every version of LW, Hub etc. I had installed and updated since I setup my system.
I didnīt want to promise to much, but since I openend this thread and doing this I am actually working without any freezing and I juggled objects and scene changes between Layout and Modeller. This was it causing the hardest problems up to now. If this is the actual status quo of stability I am able to live with it as I lived with the sometimes touchy behaviour of Lightwave in the past. :D

I keep an eye on it an will report if anything changes.

Thanks a lot

Best regards

Jochen

Danner
03-27-2014, 05:05 AM
11.x does crash occationally but it is not unstable, glad you got it sorted.

One thing that prevents a lot of crashes in 11.5 is to wait for things to save before switching between modeler and layout, and try to turn VPR off before alt tabbing.