PDA

View Full Version : new lightwave and a new laptop

rednova
03-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Dear Friends:

I was going to save money to buy a new desktop with a new version (complete, not upgrade)
of lightwave, in about between 1 to 2 years.
But recently something happened, that I have to buy a new laptop (it will be a great system
and not cheap) and will have the money to buy in a couple months.
Since I have to buy the laptop, and do not need to buy a desktop, it looks like I can
afford a new complete version of lightwave to install in the laptop.
I will really love to get a new lightwave to go with the laptop, but do not know
if it will be good to run lightwave in a laptop.
Any thoughts ?

Danner
03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
It's doable, but not the best idea, Laptops can't have the same cooling, speed, capacity, scalability of their bigger brothers. So you'll be using a slower, more expensive machine, prone to overheating.

Ztreem
03-25-2014, 02:03 PM
I only use a laptop at work and it works just as good as a desktop computer. It's of course limited to one graphics card so it's not optimal if you consider to use GPU based applications like Octane. Some of the applications I use at work is Lightwave, Cinema4D, keyshot, Rhino, Adobe CC(Photoshop, AfterEffects, Illustrator), Blender and ProEngineer.

Danner
03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Like I said it's doable, I've done it, I just can't agree with "just as good". Well it is, in many situations, but not all. Rendering and long VPR sessions will leave it gasping for air.

JohnMarchant
03-25-2014, 03:15 PM
I use a laptop day to day and it has 2 graphics cards and 32 Gb memory.

Ztreem
03-25-2014, 03:18 PM
I had a workstation before the laptop and I can say that I have not noticed any difference at all. I have it in a docking station and have had vpr going for hours even whole days and nights without any problem. My workmate workststion sounds more when he is rendering then my laptop do and they are equal in performance. You can of course get more power in a workstation and the power also comes cheaper but you have no mobility. If I had to choose between a desktop and a laptop of equal performance I choose the laptop all day.

Ztreem
03-25-2014, 03:23 PM
I use a laptop day to day and it has 2 graphics cards and 32 Gb memory.

I didn't know you could have laptops with two graphics cards, is it two geforce or quadro cards?
Memory is also a common limit in laptops, i've ordered a new one with 32gb of Ram and thats the max sixe of the ones I found on Dells site(I have to use Dell at work).

JonW
03-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Laptops will throttle down the CPU if they get too hot to protect themselves from over heating. So will a desktop, but it has a lot more headroom. After a few hours of rendering it maybe ok if room temperature is cool, it has good ventilation including all surfaces of the laptop, the internals parts aren't covered by too much dust.

At the opposite end my W5580 x 2 CPUs can render in a 35+ degree room, covered in dust with not a lot of ventilation and the system fan barely raises an eyebrow.

Attached: After a week of rendering, & this is in a relatively clean room. Both tower heatsinks were also covered in a fair bit of dust.

rednova
03-25-2014, 03:41 PM
Dear Friends:
Thank you for all the replies. I have an idea, I will just get the laptop and test drive the new lightwave.
If it works, super. If it does not, I will just save my money for a new desktop, then install the
-already bought- lightwave. But I have something else to tell you, I will get the new laptop
in a couple months, but I do not want to buy lightwave until v 12 comes out.
Thanks !!!!

JohnMarchant
03-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I didn't know you could have laptops with two graphics cards, is it two geforce or quadro cards?
Memory is also a common limit in laptops, i've ordered a new one with 32gb of Ram and thats the max sixe of the ones I found on Dells site(I have to use Dell at work).

Yes they are GeForce, technically speaking mines a Dell as well, well actually an Alienware :):):). Its below in my sig.

glebe digital
03-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Yes they are GeForce, technically speaking mines a Dell as well, well actually an Alienware :):):). Its below in my sig.

Yeah that's a nice rig indeed . . . . . I have an M11 for off-site meetings & presentations, it always generates a few envious glances.

I too use 18.3" laptops for LW & AE [two Fujitsu xi3670's] the Q9000 CPU is somewhat wimpy by i7 standards, but I've yet to have a job they couldn't handle. A cooler-plate is a 'must have' though.

The next machine I get will be the M18 . . . .

JohnMarchant
03-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Yeah that's a nice rig indeed . . . . . I have an M11 for off-site meetings & presentations, it always generates a few envious glances.

I too use 18.3" laptops for LW & AE [two Fujitsu xi3670's] the Q9000 CPU is somewhat wimpy by i7 standards, but I've yet to have a job they couldn't handle. A cooler-plate is a 'must have' though.

The next machine I get will be the M18 . . . .

I have no complaints about my M18, i do use a cooler master cool plate just to keep temps down as its a bit hot here in the Seychelles.

I want to upgrade the SSD to a bigger one so i can use it to load in OS and all my most used programs inc LW.

Only downside is the weight, its not exactly light.

roctavian
03-26-2014, 06:44 PM
Dear Friends:
Thank you for all the replies. I have an idea, I will just get the laptop and test drive the new lightwave.
If it works, super. If it does not, I will just save my money for a new desktop, then install the
-already bought- lightwave. ....
Thanks !!!!

Fair enough.

.... But I have something else to tell you, I will get the new laptop
in a couple months, but I do not want to buy lightwave until v 12 comes out.
Thanks !!!!

10 points!

motivalex
03-27-2014, 01:13 AM
A modern laptop with decent memory and graphics card works fine, plus connected to a nice big monitor. Mine works great even with intensive rendering sessions, that inckuded when working abroad in 30 degree heat. Apart for pure rendering duties when the job requires it, I doubt I will go back to using a tower as my main pc anymore.