PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Gen-esque for Mac?

raw-m
03-23-2014, 09:17 AM
What I want to do is import a basic object and sketch around it, generating paths sticking to it's surface and surrounds. Ultimately, I'm only really after getting a poly chain out of it for use in LW, but other options would be welcome.

Ivy Generator would be good but the mac version is from 2007 and not at all nice to use. I've also been playing around with TreeSketch3 on my iPad. It's a fantastic app (and has more functionality that a lot of desktop program's I've used!) but not quite what I'm after.

Anyone have any recommendations? Anything new come out recently I might have missed?

UnCommonGrafx
03-23-2014, 09:24 AM
This is the "get'er done" approach I see, initially:
Import the object and 'sketch'-select the points where you want the ivy/paths.
Make a curve you can later convert into a polychain. You may be able to do this without the curve with some plug, though.

Jitter the points if they are too linear for needs/taste.

raw-m
03-23-2014, 10:01 AM
You mean in Modeler? I guess I could spray a load of points and joint them but doesn't sound like much fun! If I could paint a path for particles to follow in Layout I could then convert the pfx file to curves. Not sure you can paint a path for particles & keep them on the surfaces(?).

UnCommonGrafx
03-23-2014, 10:18 AM
No...

I mean that you will select points on the object you've loaded.

Spraying points would be a waste of your time.

Once those points are selected, press control-p to create a spline.

Phil
03-26-2014, 07:58 AM
What I want to do is import a basic object and sketch around it, generating paths sticking to it's surface and surrounds. Ultimately, I'm only really after getting a poly chain out of it for use in LW, but other options would be welcome.

Ivy Generator would be good but the mac version is from 2007 and not at all nice to use. I've also been playing around with TreeSketch3 on my iPad. It's a fantastic app (and has more functionality that a lot of desktop program's I've used!) but not quite what I'm after.

Anyone have any recommendations? Anything new come out recently I might have missed?

Yes, I'm bothered that the newer version (vivec3d.com/3d-ivy-generator-2012/) is Windows-only and the (different) developer has never released their code (essentially violating the GPL under which the original version was released).