PDA

View Full Version : General workflow for creating articulated objects like robots, vehicles etc.

Bliz
03-23-2014, 08:33 AM
Hi guys,
getting back into making stuff in LW after years of reasonably happy maya experience.
I'm modeling a robot at the moment. I have all it's different parts in different layers. All of these parts are placed in space 'in-situ' as if the robot was already rigged in a t-pose i.e. they are not all at 0,0,0 in modeler.
What's the generally accepted workflow for making something like a robot? People surely aren't centering all their robot bits to 0,0,0 before taking it into Layout and using the move pivot tool?

Or is using Genoma for this now the best way to rig a robot?
If so, surely it's still a bit clunky to copy all the bits to one layer [as required by Genoma]? I've got a suspicion that whether Genoma is used or not, that experienced LW'ers put all their final geometry in one layer before taking over to Layout. Is this the case?

If there are any good tutorials on managing the creation of articulated objects, please let me know.

RebelHill
03-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Generally the easiest approach is just to block weight each part and use bones (for which you can have all in one layer, or separate layers), or, to use a nulls hierarchy for the rig, and parent each piece/layer to the appropriate null.

Have a peek through here for important details of basic practices, tools, approaches, etc... https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTds3QePYrWEWipwKkLmyNT4Tf_JTigM2

Bliz
03-23-2014, 03:32 PM
Cheers for that. I didn't know a skeleton could drive a multi-layered object. It makes sense now how other people have got away with it.