PDA

View Full Version : No Copy/Paste in edge selection

Dreamer
03-22-2014, 09:12 AM
I was following the recent tutorial by Cody on Motion graphics. Problem is that I can select edges but I can't copy and paste them. The copy/paste options in edit are greyed out. This is happening in v. 11.6.2. I don't have this problem in 11.5. Any ideas?

MSherak
03-22-2014, 10:22 AM
I was following the recent tutorial by Cody on Motion graphics. Problem is that I can select edges but I can't copy and paste them. The copy/paste options in edit are greyed out. This is happening in v. 11.6.2. I don't have this problem in 11.5. Any ideas?

I suggest reporting this as a bug.

Lewis
03-22-2014, 01:18 PM
There is separate tool called "copy edges" try with that. Not sure did cody used that in video 'coz regular copy don't work on edges, he only said copy but he might used that copy edges (that's part of James' Edge pack which got inluded when he joined NT DEV Team).

Dreamer
03-22-2014, 01:58 PM
In the video Cody shows how the space bar toggles thru point, edge and poly. He uses the edge tool. I'm on a Mac.

jeric_synergy
03-22-2014, 03:09 PM
IIRC I replaced the standard COPY with a 3rd party tool that copied Points, Edges, and Polys. (Matt's???) Since it was perfectly functional in all three modes, why not?

Sensei
03-22-2014, 04:22 PM
If you select edge(s), press ctrl-c and then paste (either ctrl-v or Edit > Paste) in the same or in 2nd layer you will create 2-point polygon(s). So be warned.
But in LW v11.6.1 at least you have to press ctrl-c key, Edit > Copy is disabled in menu.

raw-m
03-23-2014, 04:40 AM
If you select edge(s), press ctrl-c and then paste (either ctrl-v or Edit > Paste) in the same or in 2nd layer you will create 2-point polygon(s). So be warned.
But in LW v11.6.1 at least you have to press ctrl-c key, Edit > Copy is disabled in menu.

Thanks Sensei, it never worked for me either, but it did as you've pointed out - it's control-c on the mac as well (as opposed to command-c - what you would expect).

hrgiger
03-23-2014, 06:00 AM
its not surprising. LW doesnt really support true edges so thats why you get 2 point polygons. You can see that LW doesnt really use edges by creating a cube, selecting any 3 of the 4 edges on top of the cube, and running edge bevel. All 4 edges will be beveled even though you only selected 3. Its because LW is really beveling the points and not the edges.