PDA

View Full Version : 3D viewer for Lightwave models

Chigbee
03-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Anyone know of a program that will allow a client to view and rotate a Lightwave model in 3D space without having the Lightwave program?

Ryan Roye
03-21-2014, 08:37 AM
Erikals posted a video on this topic. see his LW forum thread here (http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?135109-Lightwave-3party-LWO-3DViewers) which lists some viewers which you may want to look at.

I also created a bridge program for BCview which integrates into Lightwave. Video on it here. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tps916BTGIY)

Chigbee
03-21-2014, 12:38 PM
Thanks chazriker, I will check these out.

calilifestyle
03-21-2014, 12:49 PM
thanks Ryan for reposting this link, i forgot about it. One thing i'm not sure about is BCViewer only views lightwave OBj files correct and not the layout Scenes.

Ma3rk
03-21-2014, 04:16 PM
FWIW, Moo Tool's 3D Browser recognizes lwo's, lws's, obj's, etc. along with ai's, eps, exr's (single layer display) and pretty much any other image format you can think of which is largely why I recently purchased an update. You can rotate objects of course (it defaults to the object facing in the -Z direction) but doesn't show procedural or image mapped textures.

spherical
03-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Deep Exploration, if you can find an earlier copy. Once they got Borged by SAP, the price shot up. Always a clue when they say: "Please contact us for pricing."

Silkrooster
03-21-2014, 10:55 PM
Photoshop CS5 with the latest version of acrobat can create viewable pdf's but to my knowledge it is mesh only. Reason for the odd version match is acrobat only support u3d and cs5 is the last version that supported that format, it was pulled in favor of collada, which acrobat does not support. Go figure.

Silkrooster
03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
here is an old mesh I did of a crayon. The texture transferred ok, but the surface color did not. The color is visible in photoshop, just not in acrobat. so either acrobat does not support it or the u3d format does not.

omichon
03-22-2014, 01:07 AM
To share a model with a client, for me the best way is Sketchfab (https://sketchfab.com/).
You will have to suscribe a PRO option to have your model "private", but it's the ideal solution for not bothering your client with any software installation.

sukardi
03-22-2014, 02:29 AM
+ for moo tools 3d browser. That's what I use...

sami
03-22-2014, 03:43 AM
Anyone know of a program that will allow a client to view and rotate a Lightwave model in 3D space without having the Lightwave program?

Yes, it's called Unity.

it's just much easier to drop a Lwo or any model (or animation) into Unity and click to build for Mac, Windows, the web with their browser plugin (or soon no plugin w v5 to webgl) or anything. Very easy and clients love it.

tburbage
03-22-2014, 06:58 PM
A model or scene exported as FBX can be viewed using Autodesk's FBX Review (free download). I can't vouch for all of what does or doesn't translate, but meshes with simple texturing do, and keyframe animation.