PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding performance

yiloy
03-19-2014, 02:04 AM
Hi, I am new to Lightwave and evaluating it. Following a tutorial video, I have opened the spider model provided with the 11.5 content, then I used the scale tool to scale the model. On my Mac Pro 4-core i7 Xeon (2009) 2.66 Mhz, 16 GB RAM with ATI Radeon 5870 1GB, it takes at more than one second to scale the model, which is disastrous. The same model exported as obj and opened in Blender scales perfectly smoothly. I can't believe performance can be so bad, so I guess there something special with this model that I should disable ? Or maybe something I must configure in the preferences ?

JonW
03-19-2014, 02:57 AM
LW other than rendering only uses 1 core, both Modeler & Layout. My W5580 box has the same CPUs but 3.2 GHz, so with hyperthreading on CPU usage is down to 6%! People with a current Xeon box of say 48 HT cores will be down to 2% CPU usage.

The X5550 2.66 GHz only turbos to 3.06 GHz, the W5580 is a touch faster at 3.46 GHz on 1 core.

yiloy
03-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Let me provide more precision on my problem. First the model is Genoma_Spider.lwo located in LightWave_11_5_Content/Genoma/Genoma_Spider_Animation/Objects. The problem arises when using the Transform tool (which I think is new since LW 11.5). Trying to size the model with the Transform tool is excessively slow. Sizing it with the Size tool is much faster. Any idea?

JonW
03-19-2014, 03:26 PM
I can't recall how slow that tool is. But when I rescale a whole lot of architectural drawings it can easily take a minute or 2.

BokadCastle
03-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I loaded that model and did Scaling and Transform on it.
When you first use transform, the model is obviously in subpatch mode.
Hit TAB to turn it off and the Transform tool is perfectly smooth.

yiloy
03-20-2014, 01:26 AM
When you first use transform, the model is obviously in subpatch mode.
Hit TAB to turn it off and the Transform tool is perfectly smooth.

Thanks! Indeed when hitting TAB scaling performance is now fine. However I think there are still some issues there because:
1. performance in subpatch mode is not same with the Transform tool and the Size tool
2. I tried the equivalent of the subpatch mode into another 3D modeler and had no performance hit at all.

bobakabob
03-20-2014, 02:10 AM
I just use the standard Move, Rotate, Enlarge tools which are smooth and fast. Can't say I'm a fan of the all in one tool as it does seem to lag.