PDA

View Full Version : Panther 10.3.2

Jimzip
11-20-2003, 05:25 AM
"...Version 10.3.2 also includes significant changes to Panther's audio, display, and graphics components -- including updates to several ATI Radeon, ATI Rage and nVidia GeForce graphics drivers. In addition, the release will patch a number of system frameworks"

Read the full article here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/news/
The title is : Apple readying release of Mac OS X 10.3.2 Update

Hopefully, this will solve some of our woes. Chill.

Jimzip :D

mlinde
11-20-2003, 11:21 AM
And introduce a whole new set of problems.

He who is still working in 3 versions of OS X: 10.1.5, 10.2.6 and 10.2.8 (on 3 machines)

Jimzip
11-20-2003, 07:10 PM
Well.. Always hope I guess..

Jimzip :D

wapangy
11-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Well I can tell you the latest developer build of 10.3.2 does not fix the problems unfortunately. :(

Ade
11-22-2003, 08:47 AM
*cough...carracho

If anything apple needs to create an update purely for optimising OPENGL, in many aspects it is slow, slower than peecee OGL. Then again is that the card makers fault or apple's?

Chazz
11-22-2003, 10:25 AM
I've read that Apple's OpenGL is actually pretty good. I think Lightwave (unfortunately) needs some tuning in the display department.

designvs
11-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Actually I think it's largely an Apple problem. In addition to Lightwave 3D, I also use Director on both Mac OSX and Windows XP. All shockwave 3D content is waaaaayyy slower on mac. I've tested it on multiple windows computers and macs and it's a recurring problem with macs.

wapangy
11-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Ade
*cough...carracho

cough...developer

fabmedia
11-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Well to add my 2˘... I would have to agree that playback of shockwave and flash content is much slower on Macs than on PCs. Why? I don't know, but I've given up on those issues. Macromedia is really only developing for the PC platform now and in a new release of products points out it shows.

But thats a mute point. As for whether the new 10.3.2 will fix anything? I'm not too sure if it will or wont. When it comes down to the crunch, developers will blame Apple for 'screwing things up' and the Apple will tell the developers to 'write cleaner code' or 'learn to write clean code'.

I just hate all the bantering and want to use my programs without any hassle.

Cheers!
Arlen

designvs
11-24-2003, 03:24 PM
Actually I've not noticed any slow down in flash between PC and Mac. Even Shockwave content runs similarly. It's only when there is shockwave 3D content that things slow down compared to windows. At least that's what I've noticed.

fabmedia
11-24-2003, 03:28 PM
Really? I've had nothing but slowness on flash and shockwave playback on all my Macs.

Arlen

renrique
11-24-2003, 05:44 PM
Well to add my 2˘... I would have to agree that playback of shockwave and flash content is much slower on Macs than on PCs. Why? I don't know, but I've given up on those issues. Macromedia is really only developing for the PC platform now and in a new release of products points out it shows.

In fact, I hear this from a macromedia representative answering this question in a demo macromedia event, in that ocasion she talked about that the floating point processing on the mac where more difficult to acces for the flash player on mac.

Maybe the macromedia developers doesn´t really know how to do it.

fabmedia
11-24-2003, 06:10 PM
I don't know, but if you ask me, Macromedia hasn't done anything about it. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Back to LW, I just need the graph editor fixed as that is my only problem.

Arlen

renrique
11-25-2003, 09:12 AM
Yes, me too

Juzz
11-27-2003, 03:07 PM
The flash player, on both mac & pc, is a horrible chunk of bad code. It all works with sheer luck. There is really only one company to blame and it is macromedia.

Ade
11-27-2003, 09:48 PM
The only way I would ever get exceited is if Apple started a consortium for 3d PRO app makers like what AIM was for their cpus.

I could see Newtek and Alias and even maxon there all working on Open GL....Never will happen though as all the apps on the mac are lesser than the pc versions.

Another HUGE factor is the absence of real CAD cards.
All macs have right now are gaming cards that cant cut it for Open GL pro work. Even in the gaming cards we dont have parity.

But I guess Jobs will push Maya more than anyone else cause of teh PIXAR link.