PDA

View Full Version : How to get Modo lwo exports to open correctly in Lightwave

Sebasvideo
03-17-2014, 03:46 PM
When I try to export models or scenes from Modo into Layout, it's a lottery. Sometimes the best format is Collada. Sometimes it's FBX. However, the one that preserves and loads textures I applied in Modo is lwo. The problem exporting to lwo is that when open in Modeler or Layout some things are out of place.

It seems to me, although I would have to do more tests, that Lightwave completely disregards any position that is in Modo's "Item" mode, and only reads those where the layer has been moved, scaled or rotated while in Polygon mode. Since many times it's faster and simpler to move things around in item mode rather than polygon mode, some things are in place and some are not.

So I was wondering, is there some setting, either in Modo or Lightwave that I can use to compensate for this and have it all open in the right position?

Snosrap
03-17-2014, 05:31 PM
You right, .lwo seems to be the best format to use, but I don't think there is any corrective action that can be done other than texture everything with UV maps. I texture in the app in which I will be doing the final rendering, but UV'ing in Modo and rendering in LW works the trick.

cyroz
03-17-2014, 05:51 PM
Yeah, same problem here, since there is no more lws export from modo.
In fact, it's not a real probelm. The modo item mode doesn't exist in the lightwave ecosystem, so the channel of an item (position, rotation ans scale) are not readable (espacially in a lwo).
What I usualy do - when I made my scene in modo and I want to render in lightwave - is freezing those channel before saving as lwo. It will keep your item in position while revert it's pivot to default.

Hope it helps....

Sebasvideo
03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
When you say it will revert its pivot to default, do you mean that it will send it to origin, or to center?

lardbros
03-17-2014, 05:56 PM
I found even exporting as FBX to 3dsMax caused objects and instances to be strewn all over the place.
I found baking rotations and pivot points and freezing instances was the only way of ensuring it all came through fine, and in the correct positions!

Shnoze Shmon
03-17-2014, 05:59 PM
I use Modo to import STEP files to LW. I found in order to keep every part from centering on the origin I have to cut and past all objects into one layer in Modo. Hope this helps.

Sebasvideo
03-17-2014, 06:08 PM
I use Modo to import STEP files to LW. I found in order to keep every part from centering on the origin I have to cut and past all objects into one layer in Modo. Hope this helps.

Yeah I guess that would be one way, the problem is that if I need to keyframe specific items then I would have to cut and paste them into another layer in Modeler. I guess the easiest approach is to keep exporting in Collada or FBX to preserve the right positions, and load the textures again in Layout.

cyroz
03-19-2014, 01:50 AM
When you say it will revert its pivot to default, do you mean that it will send it to origin, or to center?

That' right.

Sebasvideo
03-19-2014, 05:27 PM
That' right.

So which one is it, origin or center?