PDA

View Full Version : Super Long render times with dpont edge node.

ArtGoblin
03-14-2014, 06:13 PM
I've been creating some graybox renders to paint on afterwards.... so I thought it would be brilliant to use dpont edge node, it worked fine to get some nice micro-beveled edges quickly. Worked perfectly when I did my gun graybox render, but now I'm working on a dropship and it is a bit more complicated geometri, and it is super slow as soon as I plug in the edge node into the normals.

I'm working on debugging this trying to find a solution, but I just wanted to check here if this is a common problem?

ArtGoblin
03-14-2014, 06:27 PM
ahhhh.... never mind :) I went and read the documentation again, and it says this "-A Layered Object needs different surface names to work properly with this node."
I have it set up as 4 seperate pieces, and I just needed to give all surface names a prefix with their layer name.... then I got superfast renders !!!

Waves of light
03-15-2014, 04:05 AM
Good to know though, so thanks for posting your solution.

ArtGoblin
03-15-2014, 09:11 AM
:) it's the least I can do, considering how much help and inspiration I've received from you people throughout the years

jeric_synergy
03-15-2014, 02:12 PM
So, if polys on separate layers share the same Surface name, it slows the plugin down???

ArtGoblin
03-15-2014, 04:01 PM
So, if polys on separate layers share the same Surface name, it slows the plugin down???

Yes... as in if you have an object on 2 layers in a scene, both using the surface name "default", you will not only get some really really long render times for no reason, but it will also give you bad results. But as soon as they don't share the surface name this node will work like magic :) did for me in

jeric_synergy
03-15-2014, 05:07 PM
Programming is weird.

Good to know!!! Easy tripwire to stumble over.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Good to know indeed, thanks.

I wish LW would pay some good money to Denis and insert all those marvels into LW. A lot of us would not use LW anymore if it weren't for Denis amazing free nodes.