PDA

View Full Version : Spline control, no linear mode? (smooth bezier is not what I need today)

Taro Yoshimoto
03-14-2014, 10:34 AM
Hi, like the subject say, I need to move my object in a more mechanic way, going straight from point A to point B, B to C, C to D... with no smooth curves.

I cannot find any options for the spline...

Any ideas?

thanks

Oldcode
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
Konichiwa!

The first thing that comes to mind is have a lot of null objects in your spline. Keep each null very close to each other. This will help you reduce to curve of the spline until it is no longer noticeable.

こんにちは!

まず思い浮かぶことは、あなたのスプラインにヌルオブジェクトがたくさんあるです。お互いに非常に近い各N ULLを保管してください。これは、もはや顕著になるまで、あなたはスプラインのカーブに削減しないのに役 立ちます。

グッドラック、

Taro Yoshimoto
03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks, yes, it would work but would defeat the purpose of using spline control for simplicity.

I just found an old plugin that let you do a speed envellope:

ByDistance Lscript.

here a screenshot

jeric_synergy
03-14-2014, 12:33 PM
#thinkingoutloud
If there were a way to associate keyframes with nulls, one could attach.... hmmm, basically I'm reverse engineering Spline Control. Never mind. The difference is that SC automagically does the distances...

Well, it might be faster to wait for lw3dg to upgrade SC, or perhaps one of Denis' plugins do it already.

Sebasvideo
03-15-2014, 11:53 AM
Taro, you might be better off just using the motion path and moving the bezier handles in the graph editor, spline control is good for wavy things, but for many uses, especially when you need straight motion paths, it's useless. I'm new to Lightwave but I confirmed this in another thread because I had the same problem, and you can keep adding nulls forever and still not have a perfect straight path.

Sebasvideo
03-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Konichiwa!

The first thing that comes to mind is have a lot of null objects in your spline. Keep each null very close to each other. This will help you reduce to curve of the spline until it is no longer noticeable.

こんにちは!

まず思い浮かぶことは、あなたのスプラインにヌルオブジェクトがたくさんあるです。お互いに非常に近い各N ULLを保管してください。これは、もはや顕著になるまで、あなたはスプラインのカーブに削減しないのに役 立ちます。

グッドラック、

Just for a quick laugh I pasted the Japanese text into Google Translator, this is what came out:

Hi there!

That comes to mind first, is there is a lot of null object to your spline. Please keep each N ULL very close to each other. Until no longer remarkable, this can help you to not cut the curve of the spline you.

Good Luck,

Here's what happens when translating that back to Japanese:

そこにこんにちは!

すなわち、第頭に浮かぶ、nullオブジェクトの多くは、あなたのスプラインに存在している。互いに非常に 近接し、各N ULLに保管してください。もはや顕著になるまで、これを使用すると、スプラインあなたのカーブをカットし ないように助けることはできません。

グッドラック、

Finally, this is the Japanese translation back to English:

Hello there!

In other words, a lot comes to mind first, of a null object, I is present in your spline. And very close to each other, please keep it in each N ULL. Until no longer remarkable, when you use it, you will not be able to help so as not to cut the curve of your spline.

Good Luck,

I just love online translators :)

jeric_synergy
03-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Trying to recallllllll..... Isn't there a tool that allows you to grab KEYFRAMES in the main window and move them about? That is, the highlighted keyframes on the motion path? Of course the object will most likely be somewhere else on screen, but as long as the interpolation is set to linear, if such a tool exists you should blah blah blah...

I can see how such a "Linear" setting added to Spline Control would be REALLY useful for mechanical constructs, esp. when driven by expressions, driving the Z channel, so someone please send this to the Feature Request address. Try to get CelShader on board too, since she seems to be the point person at lw3dg for Spline Control.

(Ironically, linear probably involves far LESS math than the spline stuff, so really we're asking them to remove functionality, but sometimes that's what's useful.)

Sebasvideo
03-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Trying to recallllllll..... Isn't there a tool that allows you to grab KEYFRAMES in the main window and move them about? That is, the highlighted keyframes on the motion path? Of course the object will most likely be somewhere else on screen, but as long as the interpolation is set to linear, if such a tool exists you should blah blah blah...

Yes, the path tool, which is useful only for moving keyframes around. Lightwave needs to have the same type of curve adjustment Modo has (and even poor old After Effects) which is bezier handles on the viewport for spatial keyframes. The only way to adjust the frames curves are in the graph editor, and like most things in Lightwave, its usability pales in comparison to Modo.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am doing fine with the ByDistance plugin. It does work if you respect some guideline. I am able to make independent speed curves while keeping all my motion linears. Way faster than editing each Bezier splines in the graph editor.

tburbage
03-17-2014, 02:32 PM
There is a Move TCB function that lets you modify key weights in the viewport... Not in front of a LW computer at the moment, and not sure if that relates to the original poster's problem though.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-17-2014, 04:07 PM
I am doing fine with the ByDistance plugin.

This is a nightmare... the plugin lose all keyframes when reloading a scene. I've just lost a full day of work.

LW, it's really hard to love you right now.

jeric_synergy
03-17-2014, 11:08 PM
Let's back up (to think about this more fundamentally):

If you do not want a spline, which feature of Spline Control (since it has several) is it that you are desiring?

That is:

is it that keyframes are repositionable, since they are nulls?
or that the speed is easily made constant over a varied path?

Taro Yoshimoto
03-18-2014, 08:35 AM
--------> that the speed is easily made constant over a varied path.

But I've solved it yesterday night late. Again, Denis Pontonnier saved my ***.

You can make a nice envelope with the Item Info node that will control all your motions as one. Exactly like the speed curve in After Effects.

I will make a tutorial for this when I finish my rush. It deserve it.

jeric_synergy
03-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Thanks! Even a simple node editor screen grab would be great.

Taro Yoshimoto
03-18-2014, 01:21 PM
Here you go:

I hope it's clear...

That way you do all your moves and rotations in linear mode, and adjust the speed curve.