PDA

View Full Version : Problem with FX Linker

scott.newman.ct
03-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Hi All

I would really appreciate any help resolving this...

I set up a basic scene using a single object, an emitter and FX linker. So I have emitter creating about 200 particles that "fall" past the camera. Then using FX linker I replaced/linked the particles with my base object, adding random rotation and spin to each particle/object.

The effect worked well and looked exactly how I wanted it to. I saved the scene and closed Lightwave.

When I re-open the scene, the HVE emitter is still there, and so are all the linked objects (they are visible in the object menu at the bottom), however they dont show up in the scene/viewport. I cant see them anywhere and they dont show up in a render either. They only seem to show up in the object menu.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your time

Scott

Mr_Q
03-14-2014, 10:27 AM
You need to save your PFX file when using FX_Linker. Otherwise the attached item(s) will get "lost."

Also, if you have the newer Lightwave, using Instancing to attach your meshes to the particles is more efficient and offers more control over what they are doing. You would still need to save the PFX file though.

scott.newman.ct
03-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Thanks Mr_Q

I suspected it must have been something like that. First time Ive ever used FX Linker... Im glad it was just a test scene. Sorry to ask - but where does one access the "save PFX file" command?

dwburman
03-26-2014, 07:51 PM
You may have figured this out by now, but you use the "Save Motion" button on the emitter's "File" tab to save the .pfx.