PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with mixed surface texture

cyborg_ty
03-13-2014, 07:11 PM
I'm relatively new to Lightwave. So my problem might be something simple. I would like to know the best way to position an image (or image sequence) on the face of Lego character model's face. I'm still trying t get my head around UV maps in Lightwave (familiar with them in Carrara and Maya (played with them in student version of Maya)). I decided an easy way should be to isolate the area for the face in a UV map and then apply the files to that. I can created what appears to be the surface nodes that should work, but I don't see the image on the polys that are mapped to the UV's.

Any suggestions on how I should be approaching this?

I created the first little episode of a silly animated series using Carrara, but I had certain challenges that Lightwave appears to solve. I like what I see in IKBooster and believe I might prefer animating as well as rigging in Lightwave. I want to create an episode in Lightwave to get a better idea of the workflow differences and advantages.

Thanks for your time and consideration.

JoePoe
03-13-2014, 07:31 PM
A couple of things. (without the actual scene it's hard to say for sure....)

1) You need to set the mapping type to UV (don't forget to select the map name too).
If that alone doesn't do it....
2) are you sure there's an alpha included with the image. If so make sure it's enabled in the image editor settings.
2b) you might have to run the Alpha Image 2 node through an Invert node (Math > scalar >invert) and then into opacity.
3) If no alpha (I'm assuming the Image 2 node is an all black and white version of the face right?) use Luma instead.

Edit: And, oh yeah, .... welcome to Lightwave :)

Edit 2: Come to think of it, you don't even need the mixer. Just feed the color from the rest of the head in as background color to an image node (UV) with alpha.

Snosrap
03-13-2014, 09:46 PM
I can created what appears to be the surface nodes that should work, but I don't see the image on the polys that are mapped to the UV's. Any suggestions on how I should be approaching this? Well for one, node flows for the most part don't show up in Modeler. Go to Layout and turn on VPR.

cyborg_ty
03-13-2014, 11:10 PM
Thank you for the fast replies. It turns out I was doing mostly everything right. But I was trying to make it work in Modeler.
I went ahead and simplified the nodes by making them more like what Joe shows in his 'Edit 2'.