PDA

View Full Version : Instancer is going to send me to the loony bin

Sebasvideo
03-13-2014, 06:08 PM
Trying to follow this tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPTv8KY1OLA the guy at one point assigns an instancer to the grass blade, selects surface, ramps up the number and instances appear all over the ground surface. Piece of cake. So when I try to do the same, I get this:

My settings are just like his, although the objects might differ, my plane is a 100x100 meters and the blade might is probably different. So I think maybe since surface name is set to all, it's causing the blade to also see its own surfaces. So I select the ground surface, and there are no instances. I can enter a million instances and only one is showing.

I can get it to work by using a rectangular array, but it's driving me crazy to figure out why is surface working out perfectly fine for him and not for me, especially why I get no instances when I select the ground surface.

Besides, I think the tutorial depends on Surface being selected because he does a vertex map later on it.

ernpchan
03-13-2014, 06:36 PM
Are you applying the instancer to your instance generator (for example a plane for the lawn) or the actual blade of grass?

You want to apply instancer to whatever will be generating the instances, not what you want to instance. Think of it like the instance generator is the parent and the instances are the child. The lawn is the parent, the blade of grass is the child. Apply instancer to the lawn.

Sebasvideo
03-13-2014, 06:39 PM
That's what I was doing wrong. A million thanks :)

Sebasvideo
03-13-2014, 07:14 PM
Now I have another problem. While I can see the instances on the viewport, and also with VPR, they just don't render. "Render Instances" is checked, am I missing something?