PDA

View Full Version : Modeler strange bizarro polygon?

Sebasvideo
03-13-2014, 04:02 PM
I don't even know what to call this, so sorry for the poor description, but I made a grass leaf in Modeler from a closed Bezier curve, simply 5 points and adjusting the curves, then Make Polygon. But then I get this weird extra area, that is not a polygon, it's not selectable as a polygon, the edges around it or points, only the ones on its left, which belong to the actual polygon I created.

I did this in the back view clicking counterclockwise and then adjusting the curves, just that simple. The weird thing is that when I send this to Layout, it doesn't show that second area. Even if I extrude it, the extra area shows in Modeler but not in Layout.

Is this a glitch, or is it supposed to be this way and why?

bobakabob
03-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Go to Polygon mode, press w and check the polys you have there. There might be 'junk geometry' e.g 2 point polys you need to get rid of. You might also have accidentally created superimposed polys sharing the same points. If you click the + you can select and then delete. Try also finding unify which might consolidate it.

danielkaiser
03-14-2014, 01:54 AM
If you don't see it when rendered it's probably a openGL glitch.

Mastoy
03-14-2014, 02:17 AM
I got these all the time and most of the time they don't appear in the render. If you really don't want them in openGL, a simple Knife in the middle will solve the problem

3DGFXStudios
03-14-2014, 02:36 AM
That's because it a non-planar polygon. Polygons should be always 100% flat. What you've got there is a shape that can't be made in the real world so what LW does is also not possible but it's trying its best to make it something. You could spline patch it, but then you have to cut the curve into 3 parts. It's impossible to make a shape like that with one poly.

So it's supposed to be that way.

Mastoy
03-14-2014, 08:06 AM
That's because it a non-planar polygon. Polygons should be always 100% flat. What you've got there is a shape that can't be made in the real world so what LW does is also not possible but it's trying its best to make it something. You could spline patch it, but then you have to cut the curve into 3 parts. It's impossible to make a shape like that with one poly.

It doesn't have to be a non-planar polygon to show that kind of error : open Modeler, with the pen tool draw a "T" shape, this is what you get :

Polygon is 100% valid, renders ok in Layout but looks like this in Modeler. It's a Opengl thing

Sebasvideo
03-14-2014, 08:13 AM

Oh, so maybe it could be that when I was adjusting the bezier handles one of them went into the Z axis a little bit, even if I didn't see it from the side view. So that made the polygon non-planar. I bet it's that because later I did it again and the weird area is not showing anymore.

Sebasvideo
03-14-2014, 08:15 AM
I got these all the time and most of the time they don't appear in the render. If you really don't want them in openGL, a simple Knife in the middle will solve the problem

I went to the kitchen, grabbed my best knife, cut the extra part and now my monitor is dead with a big cut in the middle.:ohmy: