PDA

View Full Version : TC 455 MOVs won't import into Premiere CS6 for Mac

sharronj
03-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi,
Running Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 on a Mac (OSX 10.8.5). I get a "codec missing or unavailable" error when I try to import a 720p/60 MOV file recorded by our Tricaster 455. Weird thing is, I have no problem importing the same file into Premiere Pro CS6 on a machine running OSX 10.6.8. Any suggestions, other than continuing to use the older machine (not really practical)? I tried installing the Tricaster codecs, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Further info: if I have the Tricaster export a clip as MOV with H.264 compression, then it imports just fine into Premiere. That sort of works for me, except I also want to downconvert from 720/60 to 720/30, which Tricaster won't do. I have to use Adobe Media Encoder to do that - but again, "missing or invalid codec." And even if it did work, that would mean I'm recompressing the file twice, which not only wastes time, but also probably loses quality.

JPulera
03-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Is Premiere CS6 updated to same version on both machines? Also, not sure at what point you wanted to change frame rate, but you can certainly drop a 720p60 clip into a 720p30 sequence and Premiere will handle that automatically, no transcode needed, then just do the final export at 30p.

Thanks

Jeff

sharronj
03-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Premiere is 6.0.2 on the older machine, 6.0.5 on my machine. The reason I want to transcode is to keep the file sizes under control. Most of the edits I do are long form performances, with continuous clips 45-60 minutes long from 4 cameras plus the Tricaster line cut. Trying to edit multi-camera clips of that size just bogs down the machine. I know I could set the Tricaster to record at 30p instead of 60p, but my program monitor won't display 30p (something we didn't take into account when we bought the monitor).

SBowie
03-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Trying to edit multi-camera clips of that size just bogs down the machine.Just to 'philosophize' for a moment ... I suppose larger clips do require both extra storage space, and more bandwidth during reads than something much more highly compressed. On the other hand, inevitably your NLE is going to have to pull the frames into uncompressed space to deal with them, so transcoding probably doesn't help much RAM-wise, which is where it usually really matters on an application level. But, transcoding imposes its own burdens in terms of both time lost to process and image degradation. Just something to consider, since hard drive space is about the cheapest commodity on the planet these days.

sharronj
03-13-2014, 08:29 AM
Steve, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I follow your logic. By "deal with them," do you mean to render the final output? Or do they have to be decompressed any time I want to look at a frame? Conserving RAM is my concern, more than drive space - although having smaller files does help when I want to copy all of them onto an external drive and hand it off to a student to work on.

SBowie
03-13-2014, 08:30 AM
By "deal with them," do you mean to render the final output? Or do they have to be decompressed any time I want to look at a frame?Both (although there are a lot of variations on this, depending on software - for example, some apps can decode a file at a fraction of it's original resolution when you're running in a mode that doesn't show a full quality preview. It's hard to say whether this applies in a particular situation though).

sharronj
03-13-2014, 08:51 AM
Well, Premiere does offer fractional playback resolution. Really, the NLE is able to decompress a 34 GB MOV file for preview as easily as a 2 GB MP4? Anyway, it doesn't solve the original problem: I still can't pull the original Tricaster file into Premiere on my current machine. I get the "codec missing or unavailable" error, so I'm forced to export or transcode at least once.

SBowie
03-13-2014, 11:37 AM
Really, the NLE is able to decompress a 34 GB MOV file for preview as easily as a 2 GB MP4?Easier. If you think about it, the smaller file is much more compressed, which requires more cpu cycles to both encode and decode. This is, of course, an oversimplification, but generally true. So unless an app is decodes at partial resolution when working in a 'proxy' preview mode, it's actually working harder with the highly compressed file.

sharronj
03-13-2014, 12:55 PM
Easier. If you think about it, the smaller file is much more compressed, which requires more cpu cycles to both encode and decode. This is, of course, an oversimplification, but generally true. So unless an app is decodes at partial resolution when working in a 'proxy' preview mode, it's actually working harder with the highly compressed file.

OK, I'll buy that. So do you have any thoughts about the original problem, that the Tricaster codec is no longer recognized by Premiere Pro? Is this something I'll have to take up with Adobe?

SBowie
03-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Without re-reading what has been written below (so forgive me if it's been said), there were versions of PPro that had a known (acknowledged by Adobe) bug reading files with embedded timecode. They promised to fix it, and we had reports that this had happened (perhaps another PPro user will chime in here). In the interim, not knowing when this would occur, we added a switch to our update installer that let users install a TC version that did not embed timecode in Quicktime files. This was annoying, but better than nothing.

It's worth noting that the NewTek codecs have no bearing on whether a Mac will read the TriCaster Quicktime files or not. Depending on your OS version and whatever else is installed, you may, however, need this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396 (And a tip of the hat to Zane, for so courteously supplying that link when my memory was dodgy!)

sharronj
03-13-2014, 02:51 PM
If we already installed the TC update, can the "without embedded timecode" switch still be flipped?

Thanks for the link to the Apple ProApps codec page, but it only installs if you have Final Cut, Motion or Compressor.

SBowie
03-13-2014, 05:46 PM
No, but you can simply re-install the patch to access it. Sorry about the Apple thing.