PDA

View Full Version : Make a puddle from particles

Seeking Buddha
03-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I have a character vomiting and I want his vomit to pool at his feet, but I can't figure out how to flatten out the particles on the ground plane, so I've got some particles in the right place, but others that are still up in the air above the ground plane. Any suggestions?

Peace,

Seeking Buddha

ernpchan
03-08-2014, 08:19 PM
You could use editfx to manually adjust the location of your particles. It's possible it's a collision issue. LightWave doesn't have fractional frame calculations. So you could extend the timing of your simulation and then speed up the playback.

prometheus
03-08-2014, 08:38 PM
I have a character vomiting and I want his vomit to pool at his feet, but I can't figure out how to flatten out the particles on the ground plane, so I've got some particles in the right place, but others that are still up in the air above the ground plane. Any suggestions?

Peace,

Seeking Buddha

I would simply make the vomit particles fall under the floor, and make the vomit puddle out of geometry instead and morph it to grow...and try to match the surface as close you can.

otherwise you should make the particles have some roughness and small fix power in the bouncing of the floor (collision body)so they spread aside and sort of float out, use a particle gradient on blend scale( relative particle age)
there is an option to use hv deform for better look of flattening particles with hvīs...but that one I have never understood.

Michael

prometheus
03-08-2014, 08:41 PM
You could use editfx to manually adjust the location of your particles. It's possible it's a collision issue. LightWave doesn't have fractional frame calculations. So you could extend the timing of your simulation and then speed up the playback.

it shouldnīt be necessary to use edit fx if you simply set the particle settings more correctly.

Now ....images from the thread starter please so we can see the issues..then I might post my settings and sample.

Michael

dwburman
03-08-2014, 09:29 PM
You could also use two particle emitters. One for the falling particles that die upon collision and one that emits particles when the particles from the first emitter dies.

I like the idea of letting the particles fall through the floor and morphing another object to form the puddle... or using an animated texture to increase the HV size or deform the object (subdivided plane below the floor) to push it up to form the puddle. This kind of animation with geometry is more controllable and predictable than simulating particles. :)

prometheus
03-08-2014, 11:10 PM
You could also use two particle emitters. One for the falling particles that die upon collision and one that emits particles when the particles from the first emitter dies.

I like the idea of letting the particles fall through the floor and morphing another object to form the puddle... or using an animated texture to increase the HV size or deform the object (subdivided plane below the floor) to push it up to form the puddle. This kind of animation with geometry is more controllable and predictable than simulating particles. :)

Yes..I was actually going to say that too about creating a second emitter and set it to emitt when the first ones dies...that means setting the collision object to erase and the second emitter nozzle to parent emitter end.

Another thing you also can do if you want the same surface look from hvīs, you could use a grid object or points, and apply hypervoxels too them for the pool puddle, set the object properties to 100 dissolve and use the object itself as an hv item, by assigning the item voxels to the same blending group..they will also blend when in contact with each other.

hereīs some settings, just one emitter...donīt ask for tips on the surfacing...I wont go there for this particular topic, so you guys have to study the references yourself:)
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=120657&d=1394345384

Michael

bazsa73
03-09-2014, 04:07 AM
Yör!

XswampyX
03-09-2014, 05:21 AM
That's sick. :)

You have done a good job with that prometheus, but LW really, really needs to look at particle rendering/simulation.

It's all so 1990's

prometheus
03-09-2014, 08:44 AM
That's sick. :)

You have done a good job with that prometheus, but LW really, really needs to look at particle rendering/simulation.

It's all so 1990's

that was really just a basic setup..just took a few minutes, and some enhancements with the new blending options, and I am not used to doing any liquids at all..so it should be quite simple to do for others too, maybe that my experience from using voxels in volume and with particle explosions helps perhaps.
(the distance between particles would mean so much more though for better liquid stuff..and I canīt figure out why it doesnīt show up after all of us shouting out loud about it for years)
Earwax stopping our wishes or failure to see the importance...lack of knowledge? or other hacks needed in the sdk for it to work still not implemented..or something else mr rid mentioned with not so kind words:) I dont know.

But indeed ...both particle and hvīs needs some loving..but we all now the stuff for the hv part, either a decent shader from real flow..not sure if that is better and exist actually? or just implement the distance between particle gradient as Mr Rid points out and erikals showcasing on youtube, and what I have been ranting about.

d-storms physx naminamifx and liquid tools, or perhaps creacon gets something going, though I would rather see they bring either those resources in
to work with lightwave nativly and not as a plugin...but if not possible..hire someone else or put someone in the lw group already familiar with particles and hvīs on to it and do some serious work before lw 12 comes out, I know for a fact modo will get some serious liquid stuff in the next version ( the fact is located in my belly gut) and then the lighwave users will just shake their heads if it donīt show up:devil: for Lightwave that is.

The good thing though in lightwave and trying to acheive at least a semi decent liquid look, it is the imporance of using VPR for almost realtime tweaking of the particle size and blending, velocity and amount etc....viper could work too but it is somewhat limited.

Michael

prometheus
03-09-2014, 08:54 AM
and for all crazy kitten lovers over here, here is some reference that actually is somewhat cute...despite the awkward moment..it might be a lightwave challenge, model a kitten, put fur on it, animate itīs advanced motions, and do the liquid vfx:)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLDbGqJ2KYk

Areyos Alektor
03-10-2014, 05:50 PM
there is an option to use hv deform for better look of flattening particles with hvīs...but that one I have never understood.

I was just going to propose "HV Deform". For the "Emitter" add "HvDeform" in "Object Properties" / "Deform" / "Add Displacement", open the panel and create at least one rule (put a name in the box next to "New rule" and confirm with the "Enter" button, then select it in "Modification rules"). To the surface on which the "HyperVoxels" are crashing add "HvDeformSurface" in "Object Properties" / "Deform" / "Add Displacement".

It's necessary to pay attention to the size of the "HyperVoxels". And by head, should be put "Stretch Direction" = "Velocity" for "HyperVoxels".