PDA

View Full Version : Read Only error

Chrusion
03-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Discovered something frustratingly interesting just now.

If you have two different sub-versions of LW installed, eg. LW 11.0.3 and 11.6.2, and you run the higher version of Modeler, do a quick edit on one object, close it, then run the lower version of Modeler to edit a second object specific to that version (ie. 11.0.x doesn't have the new input node, whether node surfacing is used or not, that 11.6.x has... long story I won't go into detail, but it relates to anim. GI cache baking)... the HUB of the higher LW version is still running and interferes with the lower version of LW so that the object can't be modified, edited, added to, or even saved. You get an error message to the effect "cannot modify object because it is read only..."

I exited the higher ver. Hub, then ran the lower ver. of Modeler, which could then launch the lower ver. Hub and all was well.

Just an FYI, because the forum turned up nothing on this peculiar incident.

spherical
03-07-2014, 08:04 PM
That's a function of the lousy search. We've talked about making sure the Hub is exited before running another version or bitness a lot. Try Google pointed at the forum and see if something shows up.

jwiede
03-07-2014, 08:28 PM
That's a function of the lousy search.
As well as ample demonstration of just how lousy the search is: That same topic (version hub incompatibilities) comes up on a fairly regular basis, call it every 4-6 months or so. Honestly, it'd be better if they just disabled forum search -- that way people would be forced to use Google and get semi-useful results, whereas the results from the forum search often deceive by omission making folks think things haven't been discussed when they're regular topics.

spherical
03-07-2014, 11:32 PM
True enough. There are threads in the 9.x Beta forums that I'd really like to reference and they're just invisible. A lot of really valuable information back there that is relevant today. Walled off. What the.....????

dwburman
03-08-2014, 08:26 AM
There is a place in the advanced search to set the time range for searches. By default it's set too short IMO. Changing that can help, though I don't think it fixes all of the search problems.

spherical
03-08-2014, 08:29 PM
I have always had it set to: From the Beginning of Time. Doesn't make any difference, or very little. It returns a lot of stuff, but there seems to be no way to efficiently cull them to drill down. Trying to limit by username works sometimes, other times not.

Davewriter
03-08-2014, 08:48 PM
Discovered something frustratingly interesting just now.

If you have two different sub-versions of LW installed, eg. LW 11.0.3 and 11.6.2, and you run the higher version of Modeler, do a quick edit on one object, close it, then run the lower version of Modeler to edit a second object specific to that version (ie. 11.0.x doesn't have the new input node, whether node surfacing is used or not, that 11.6.x has... long story I won't go into detail, but it relates to anim. GI cache baking)... the HUB of the higher LW version is still running and interferes with the lower version of LW so that the object can't be modified, edited, added to, or even saved. You get an error message to the effect "cannot modify object because it is read only..."

I exited the higher ver. Hub, then ran the lower ver. of Modeler, which could then launch the lower ver. Hub and all was well.

Just an FYI, because the forum turned up nothing on this peculiar incident.

THANKS!

I guess I've just been lucky... I'd never had this happen to me - until yesterday. I had gone rather the mallet direction, but it's good to know the better (and more keyboard friendly) ways of going about things.