PDA

View Full Version : Questions for professionals about the AMD vs Intel debate for which cpu to choose



yoshiii
03-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Hello

This question is for professionals who work in 3D.

I am debating between a AMD FX 8350 build vs i7 4770K. I have researched this and asked questions about it. I always seem to get Intel fanboys just saying Intel Intel Intel.

I recieved suggestings to get the FX 8350 also. I want a good system that will get the job done in a good amount of time. I dont have to have the best, just something that does very well.

I am starting out in this. I will do freelancing after I learned everything with the software. I will use the pc for making money.

I am moving up from a old Dell XPS 420 system with a q6600 and 4gigs of ram.

Will the FX 8350 be a good cpu to use with Lightwave? I feel that the price for the i7 4770k is not good, overpriced I feel. If I was going to spend money on Intel, I would rather wait and get the 4930K later.

Chrusion
03-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Maybe this will help...

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-AMD-FX-8350

JonW
03-08-2014, 02:58 AM
I think you may not see the forest for the trees!

I will use the pc for making money.
Computers do not make money, your skills & selling yourself will do that.


I want a good system that will get the job done in a good amount of time.
Someone who optimises their scene, work & process will get a job finished & paid quicker, than someone with the latest computer.


system with a q6600 and 4gigs of ram.
There is nothing wrong with this computer, I have one of them but it has 2 CPUs, it's about 50% faster. I don't use it much these days. But it is still about a 4 level redundancy backup if all the other computers fail. Ok it will be slower for doing 5000 pixel wide renders for A3 prints, but there is nothing wrong with it for smaller scale renders. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it for learning & getting modest size jobs done on time.


I will do freelancing after I learned everything with the software.
99% of Lightwavers will say they are still learning & the remaining 1% are liars.


Keep using this computer for awhile & spend as much money on the largest monitor you can afford, this will allow you to be far more productive.

Learning on a computer with less resources teaches you to optimise more carefully which is a very good long term asset. It is very easy to get stupidly lazy with top end CPUs & truckloads of RAM.

I would rather give away my fastest computer (already 5 years old) & keep my 30" monitor. My Mac Mini is 2GHz, 4 GB ram, but I have a 30" monitor hanging off it & still use Photoshop CS1. It doesn't stop me from getting work or slow me down to any great degree. I provide A3+ 300 dpi prints from RAW Canon files & also do a bit of Lightwave on it if I am too lazy to fire up the PC. If the other half is using this computer I will fire up the old Dual 533 MHz Mac (yes MHz) & use PS CS1 on it. I have to be a bit more careful with file size keeping the number of layers modest but it is not the end of the world with it's 1.5 GB ram.

I also had an AMD dual CPU Athlon 1800, but unfortunately it died. So I have had Dual CPU boxes from all 3 sides of the fence!

Get stuck in & learn with the tools you have. Better tools are not going to improve your skills. Time, dedication & most importantly making as many mistakes as you can while learning is the most worthwhile goal. You will learn more from your mistakes than anything else.

3dbr
03-08-2014, 03:59 AM
my experience:

BenchMark FX 8320
http://i58.tinypic.com/eb2zjb.jpg

BenchMark FX 8320_OC 4400GHz
http://i57.tinypic.com/20ixfyg.jpg

BenchMark [email protected]
http://i61.tinypic.com/2rmy6nt.jpg

yoshiii
03-08-2014, 07:46 AM
I think you may not see the forest for the trees!

Computers do not make money, your skills & selling yourself will do that.


Someone who optimises their scene, work & process will get a job finished & paid quicker, than someone with the latest computer.


There is nothing wrong with this computer, I have one of them but it has 2 CPUs, it's about 50% faster. I don't use it much these days. But it is still about a 4 level redundancy backup if all the other computers fail. Ok it will be slower for doing 5000 pixel wide renders for A3 prints, but there is nothing wrong with it for smaller scale renders. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it for learning & getting modest size jobs done on time.


99% of Lightwavers will say they are still learning & the remaining 1% are liars.


Keep using this computer for awhile & spend as much money on the largest monitor you can afford, this will allow you to be far more productive.

Learning on a computer with less resources teaches you to optimise more carefully which is a very good long term asset. It is very easy to get stupidly lazy with top end CPUs & truckloads of RAM.

I would rather give away my fastest computer (already 5 years old) & keep my 30" monitor. My Mac Mini is 2GHz, 4 GB ram, but I have a 30" monitor hanging off it & still use Photoshop CS1. It doesn't stop me from getting work or slow me down to any great degree. I provide A3+ 300 dpi prints from RAW Canon files & also do a bit of Lightwave on it if I am too lazy to fire up the PC. If the other half is using this computer I will fire up the old Dual 533 MHz Mac (yes MHz) & use PS CS1 on it. I have to be a bit more careful with file size keeping the number of layers modest but it is not the end of the world with it's 1.5 GB ram.

I also had an AMD dual CPU Athlon 1800, but unfortunately it died. So I have had Dual CPU boxes from all 3 sides of the fence!

Get stuck in & learn with the tools you have. Better tools are not going to improve your skills. Time, dedication & most importantly making as many mistakes as you can while learning is the most worthwhile goal. You will learn more from your mistakes than anything else.

Hello

Thanks for the input. I understand more now. Yes better monitor first. So we talked before in my other thread about monitors. Question please, I ended up buying a 23" Asus AH-IPS monitor. Its 1920x1080p Asus VX239H.
Is this ok for now? Or should I get the Asus 27" PLS panel 2560x1440p monitor Asus PB278Q ? Asus has stopped making them but a store still has some for about 500 dollars. Since I can wait alittle bit longer for the computer, I can get it. If I buy the 27" now, I know that my GTX660 will support it but will it support it when it comes to using Premiere, After effects with LW to make a video? Plus I know to have a 2nd monitor it will not support both. So should I go ahead and get a stronger video card?